Author Topic: Can someone do art with Playmobil? & What is art?  (Read 16625 times)

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
Re: Can someone do art with Playmobil? & What is art?
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2008, 18:02:49 »
... the thought came to me that these stories in many ways are about what happens at night when the owners of the Playmobil are in bed!

As I was putting some effort in organizing the boxes, today, I thought with myself that playing (of a child), and hobbies are lonely activities. (A child doesn't always play alone, but there are lonely plays ...)

Art and craft is something that someone does alone, too.

Maybe art has to do with playing, and craft with a hobby ... There's no creativity in craft or hobby (if there is, it's the non individual part of creativity (...)), while in playing and in making art, there's something of originallity and of a personal touch.

To ask, therefore, what's best: art or craft?, would be like asking what's best: playing or putting time in a hobby? ... Only modalities of activity based on something common. (A child plays with a toy, and many hobbies are based on toys. For example.)

G.
:blackhair:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 18:08:26 by Gustavo »
Gus

Offline Customizer

• Playmo Master
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2008, 20:41:32 »
Hi Playmofriends,

interesting Thread, i think i must read first all if i find a little time but here some Playmo ART.

ENJOY !

ARTIST: Danielle Rizzolo

world greets

Andi

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2008, 02:18:51 »

As I was putting some effort in organizing the boxes, today, I thought with myself that playing (of a child), and hobbies are lonely activities. (A child doesn't always play alone, but there are lonely plays ...)

Maybe art has to do with playing, and craft with a hobby ... There's no creativity in craft or hobby (if there is, it's the non individual part of creativity (...))

Hi Gus, the above maybe indicates a misunderstanding of the english words "craft" and "hobby".
Hobby is a pursuit one follows for personal enjoyment, and can be anything.
A craft means a lot of things, and often implies skill and ingenuity on the part of the doer ("crafty").

Heh, there's another activity one does alone that most Playmobil collectors are probably intimately familiar with. 

I'd argue that this unnamed solitary diversion is conceptually similar to what often gets called art nowadays.

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2008, 08:11:58 »

interesting Thread, i think i must read first all if i find a little time but here some Playmo ART.

ENJOY !

ARTIST: Danielle Rizzolo

Oh!!
Danielle's paintings are exquisite! :inlove:
I hadn't ever seen those before so thank you very much, Andi. :*)

Co-incidentally, I just happened across a topic you created quite a long time ago about another Playmo-artist.
It is definitely worth revisiting:

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=980.0

From the URLs of the embedded pics I discovered that the artwork comes from this website. :)

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2008, 02:40:53 »

In a way, I think that we're talking about the graphic arts here, painting, photography ... Maybe because many of our activities with Playmobil (most (that can be considered to reach art (...))) are related to photography -- with the exception of the artists (& designers) who play (couldn't resist ;D ) with the concept of Hans Beck's toy ...

:toot:
Gus

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2008, 02:46:36 »
Co-incidentally, I just happened across a topic you created quite a long time ago about another Playmo-artist.
It is definitely worth revisiting:

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=980.0

From the URLs of the embedded pics I discovered that the artwork comes from this website. :)

Wonderful "Biography of an artist" :D
Thanks, Syl!

Great coincidence ... At hand, I should say :)

blackhair
G.
Gus

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2008, 00:33:12 »

In a way, I think that we're talking about the graphic arts here, painting, photography ...

I have another question:

What is making art with Playmobil?
Is it customizing? Is it making good funny/original pictures?

It's easy to achieve good esthetic effect with the klickies (even with a very bad camera), because THEY are very photogenic, but I don't know (& don't think) if this is art already, maybe not rather than simple playing time ...

Maybe not all customizing can be considered as art (but simply as customizing (...)), but there are a few interesting works in customizing that make a guy to have his doubts and then, I think, comes the moment to use the definition "what is art?", so as to divide things. (Maybe.)

(Or maybe things can't be divided at all ... But I think you know what I mean.)

There's more to say,
there's a lot I've been thinking,
but I'd like to hear other ideas, so, for now ...

G.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 02:17:39 by Gustavo »
Gus

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2008, 15:53:15 »
Hi Gus, the above maybe indicates a misunderstanding of the english words "craft" and "hobby".
Hobby is a pursuit one follows for personal enjoyment, and can be anything.
A craft means a lot of things, and often implies skill and ingenuity on the part of the doer ("crafty").

We also have the option of the subtle distinction in English between a hobby and a pastime.

Playing a computer game, watching TV or reading a book is a pastime, but none of these could be described as a craft, though some computer games do require the development of skills to complete successfully.

Making stuffed toys is a hobby, and is also a craft.

If my wife makes a stuffed teddy bear, using a pattern from a book, is she being creative, or merely re-creating something that someone else put the design work into? After she's made a dozen, is she still being creative?

Now what if she uses different materials to those specified in the pattern?

What if she makes the materials from scratch, e.g. spinning the wool from raw fleece before knitting with it?

What if she alters the pattern, to make a cat instead of a bear?

I play violin as a hobby and a pastime. It requires skill, but there's nothing to show at the end, so is it a craft? Not according to the Wikipedia definition.