Author Topic: Can someone do art with Playmobil? & What is art?  (Read 16647 times)

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
Can someone do art with Playmobil? & What is art?
« on: May 22, 2008, 07:25:43 »
why "failed ..." ?

Indeed why not aspiring?

If you were an artist, Count Bogro, maybe either you ... or us, should know it ...
(I mean no offense ... I'm just trying to put in words, somehow, something I had thought.)

In what art are we failing or aspiring to?

On the other hand, some are very successful! (Take a look at Justforklicks, and Jochen's pictures ... Among others! -- & not to mention others!)

I only have one ... sketch of a story, of a book I'd like, yet, to write (fully). (I have written a part of it. Which is complete in itself, but needs other parts so that I can consider it a whole book ...) My art is writing. Playmobil have been inspiration, for a long time. I am not an artist of making money of my art, though. If I come to be considered as an artist some day, I think I'll probably be dead ... It's me. My profession isn't art. I'm in other things. I could be happier, maybe ... But I don't like to make my of art a job. Again, it's me.

I've been thinking about art and Playmobil. The commentary that Tim brought was intriguing to me. Can someone do art with Playmobil? & What is art?

Does someone who don't care about Playmobil appreciate "Night of the Reaper" as I appreciate it?

Da Vinci was an artist, I think, for profession.
So was Picasso.
So was Van Gogh ... :hmm:

G.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 07:42:42 by Gustavo »
Gus
:blackhair:

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
Re: Can someone do art with Playmobil? & What is art?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 10:37:31 »

I've split this from the Playmobil Pirates for Nintendo DS topic because I think it's a fascinating subject which deserves a separate discussion. :)

Some related links to start things off:

Yann Delacour interview

Ralf Gemein's paintings

Richard Unglik's book
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 10:46:20 by Sylvia »

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 13:56:48 »
Can someone do art with Playmobil?

What is art?

Does someone who don't care about Playmobil appreciate "Night of the Reaper" as I appreciate it?

For me, art is the use of skill to create something. The product may be highly valuable, or of no value at all, but it should move the viewer/listener (or taster, or feeler!) in a positive emotional way, possibly make them think differently about things, even if only temporarily, and possibly make them want to create something themselves.

Playmobil can certainly be used in artistic ways, as the hundreds of video clips and photographs on the internet show.

Piling a load of old rubbish on a table is NOT art, as there was no skill involved.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 14:26:21 »
martin just curious why art has to be  " a positive emotional way " ?

Also if my 2 year old piles the toys on a table it took him a lot of skill to get them there .

I have a feeling ART is in the eye of the beholder and trying to get a generic explanation for it is only going to get a wide range of opinions .

Or you can just boil it down to , art is expression through creation .
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 15:46:51 »
I don't think it takes skill to pile toys on a table, just a lot of effort - unless you consider the use of fine muscle controls that 99% of the human population have as a skill.

Playing the violin requires skill. Dancing a tango requires skill. Writing a book requires skill.

I like your definition better though - expression through creation is very good. 

« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 15:52:38 by Martin Milner »

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 16:49:36 »

Sometimes we seem to take some things for granted, Martin ...  :)

I don't think it takes skill to pile toys on a table ...

Try this same "task" with chop sticks to experience some of the frustration a child feels because they have not yet developed the "skills" that we take for granted ... ;)

All the best,
Richard

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 17:03:52 »

Thanks, Rasputin ...

... art is expression through creation .

How we receive art is a "personal" thing (IE: "One man's (or woman's) rubbish is another person's treasure.")

A "weed" is an excellent example of a "creative expression" ...
How can anyone be so arrogant to negatively label such a magnificent creative expression ... a "weed" ... ???

Yet, most of us do just that almost everyday ... ;)

If an "artist" can impact the senses, the emotions, the spirit or the thoughts of another, then they have had a moment of success. And, for that moment, the "artist" has been able to successfully express him or herself in a creative way.

My two cents  :2c:  worth ...  ;D

All the best,
Richard

Offline Jimbo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 21:26:56 »
Well said, Noble Richard, ;)

Jimbo

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 00:18:10 »
I've split this from the Playmobil Pirates for Nintendo DS topic because I think it's a fascinating subject which deserves a separate discussion. :)

This was a great idea! :)

I like your definition better though - expression through creation is very good. 

There's also the communication part. Expression & creation is on one side ... Understanding, and answering is on the other side. Objects of art seem to carry something within it. And it produces admiration, and awe in those who come by it. Some kind of desire to answer, or maybe to make of it something honoured, something known ...
Gus
:blackhair:

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 00:58:35 »
Art traditionally is craftsmanship or a honed ability.  Special intuition or instinct on the part of the artist can lift his/her art above its peers.

But, art as a sort of mysticism I think is rubbish.

That nonsense is what has condoned the proliferation of salesmen with a gimmick, or hacks who have no skill, just a lot of attitude.

So, in light of the traditional definition, customizing is an art.  Painting, molding, and re-arranging parts is a skill that improves with experience, and those with a special eye for innovations rise above the crowd.  Like Cheng and MacGayver.  They have a real skill that they picked up from practice and their unique insights.