Author Topic: OT: LEGO Indiana Jones Series  (Read 8927 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
OT: LEGO Indiana Jones Series
« on: May 17, 2008, 16:55:05 »
Prompted by Richard's purchase of the Lego 7622 Indiana Jones set, I went and bought one myself today, and a couple of others in the series.

This is my first LEGO purchase in at least 25 years, purely because I like the Indiana Jones theme, so don't panic, I'n not about to go over to the dark side.  ;D The last set I remember buying was a western stagecoach, if anyone remebers that.

What I noticed putting together the first set (6720 Motorbike Chase from the Holy Grail film) was that the things which put me off LEGO as a child are still present, only more so.

This set includes many special parts, so you couldn't construct this from LEGO you already have. Once built, you wouldn't want to deconstruct it and use the parts for something else, as many parts couldn't be used anywhere else. Because it's made up from lots of small parts, it can come apart with rough play.

So you end up with a build once, then play with, toy. The building process didn't take long (no longer than a comparable Playmobil build), so I can't really consider this a construction toy, in the way that a bucket ful of loose Lego pieces is. 

The bikes don't seem specific to this set, they're generic scrambler motorbikes, and not really the right motorbikes for the period. I think Playmobil would have done this better with the right type of motorbike from their range, or created a new bike for the series. 

As for the play potential, the model represents part of a chase scene from one film. The chase lasted maybe 5 minutes on screen? Now presumably the child playing with this isn't going to replay the same 5 minute chase over and over (or do they?) so this is when the imagination kicks in, and the child does somehting new - or gets bored and wants a new toy.

Overall I like the series, but more for the fact it's Indiana Jones than because it's Lego. I'd have preferred this from Playmobil.

Figures from the Playmobil jungle Adventure series could easily be adapted to represent all the Indiana Jones characters, it just takes a little more effort and thought.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Re: OT: LEGO Indiana Jones Series
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 19:42:23 »

Thank you for starting this topic, Martin ...

Prompted by Richard's purchase of the Lego 7622 Indiana Jones set, I went and bought one myself today, and a couple of others in the series.

This is my first LEGO purchase in at least 25 years, purely because I like the Indiana Jones theme, so don't panic, I'n not about to go over to the dark side.  ;D

Hmmm ...  :hmm:  Sounds like it's too late. Like maybe you've already gone over, Martin ... ;)

Overall I like the series, but more for the fact it's Indiana Jones than because it's Lego. I'd have preferred this from Playmobil.

Figures from the Playmobil jungle Adventure series could easily be adapted to represent all the Indiana Jones characters, it just takes a little more effort and thought.

I noticed that you titled this topic "OT" ... ???

It doesn't have to be, Martin.  Let's use this topic to create a Playmobil version of Indiana Jones. We can certainly refer to Lego and Hasbro. in fact, we probably should create some links to what we've already posted elsewhere.

For instance ... the Hasbro Playmobil size vehicles could be used as they are. Or, become the basis for some Playmobil-like custom vehicles for our Playmobil Indiana Jones theme.

Click HERE ...

Let's take another look at Playmobil's Jungle theme.

Does this Klicky look like Indiana Jones? (Maybe he needs a whip?)

picture "borrowed" from Collectobil

And, how about the float plane from Playmobil's Pacific Northwest theme?

picture "borrowed" from Collectobil

WOW ... Maybe we could put together a really fantastic Playmobil Indiana Jones theme.
(Maybe we don't have to go over to the "dark side") ... ;D

Anyone else have some ideas?

All the best,
Richard

Offline extjmv

• Playmo Enthusiast
    • deMartina.com
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 20:51:02 »
Or this:

from the www.somosclicks.com forum

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 20:56:54 »
WOW!
 :D :D :D

Dr. Jones!

---

This one is he himself! Great custom!!! :yup:

G.
Gus
:blackhair:

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 21:19:05 »
That is an excellent figure! Is it all stock or modified, do you know? That site has a lot of very interesting and well done figures. I don't generally go to non-english sites because they can be so difficult to navigate, but this one is certainly worth thrashing around in!

Gepetto

Offline seawarrior

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 21:28:38 »
what is the website? ??? :-[
Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling it brings!

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 21:33:41 »

Offline seawarrior

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 21:34:31 »
thank you  :wow:
Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling it brings!

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 21:48:36 »

Hola, extjmv ...

Or this:

from the www.somosclicks.com forum

Thank you ... it appears that we now have an excellent Indiana Jones to begin our new Playmobil theme!

Just found some photos that show that the float plane used in the "Raiders of the Lost Ark" was a 1933 Waco UBF-2  biplane. Fortunately, Playmobil made a biplane that is easily converted to a float plane.

see attachment

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 22:27:41 »
Deja vu Richard!

We also have the jungle elements: 3015, 3016 and 3017 (sorry, I can't get the linking to work.)

Gepetto