Author Topic: My Roman Signifier/musician  (Read 4069 times)

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
My Roman Signifier/musician
« on: March 19, 2008, 12:02:20 »
Playmobil over-emphasized the rare lion-headed signifier in its line, so I created the wolf-headed one.

Granted, he's been done before (both for signifiers and vellites), but all the ones I've seen, the customizer put the wolf-head directly onto the klicky's head.  Yet, the wolf mask easily fits over a Roman helmet.

I've pasted a source photo.  My klicky doesn't quite meet the mark. 

The signifier isn't exactly the colors I wanted.  I couldn't bear to break apart an existing Roman, but assembled him from pirates and gladiators and vikings.  May re-do him later (will shortly have over 30 legionnaires...)

The trumpet he carries is not Roman at all, but I gave up the ghost on that one, and used the precedence PM set in its "Wooden Sword" movie.

-Tim

« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 12:11:35 by Timotheos »

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
Re: My Roman Signifier/musician
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 12:08:17 »
Here also is Freyja, Norse goddess of magic (and who I named my daughter after).

I was planning to customize the line of Norse gods, but haven't gotten to it.  Freya was associated with both a battle boar and a chariot pulled by cats.  I haven't attempted the cat-drawn chariot yet.

-Tim

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 12:11:24 »
nice customs, Timotheos!

But why Norse gods and not the Roman Pantheon?

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 12:15:38 »
Good start!

I wonder if the cautious application of heat might relax the wolf head a little so it could be squidged down tighter to the helmet?

A roman style trumpet would be a great addition to the range - maybe they could bring out a Special.

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 12:18:08 »
Hi Bogro!

Thanks for the comments!

I keep looking at my snow owl and thinking how it needs an Athena.

-Tim

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 12:21:11 »
Good start!

I wonder if the cautious application of heat might relax the wolf head a little so it could be squidged down tighter to the helmet?

A roman style trumpet would be a great addition to the range - maybe they could bring out a Special.

Hi Martin, a German project a few years back did a complete Roman legion, and I think they customized authentic looking trumpets.

(On that subject: they did their legion before the Roman theme was released, and had to take the original special and heavily customize him).

-Tim

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 12:24:28 »
I keep looking at my snow owl and thinking how it needs an Athena ...

You mean Minerva? Pallas Athena is the Greek name for the Godess; Minerva is the Roman name for her.

Bogro

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 12:34:00 »
You mean Minerva? Pallas Athena is the Greek name for the Godess; Minerva is the Roman name for her.

Bogro

Thanks for the correction, Bogro.  The image of her in my head is from Peter Connolly's "Ancient Greece" book, in which he drew a reconstructed statue of Athena that once sat in the Parthenon.

Something I learned of late, that I wasn't taught effectively in school:

In school, I was taught that Romans and Greeks had the same gods, but with different names.  I've since learned that Romans best-fit foreign gods into their pantheon, merging attributes where needed. 

This sounds common sense, but my mind used to boggle over how Saturn and Chronos (Uranos?) were the same god, yet seemed to be treated differently between the Greeks and Romans.

And, along this line, Bogro, you're more correct than I am to carefully distinguish Minerva from Athena, same (later) goddess but not same origin, and possibly not even same original function.

-Tim

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 19:18:36 »
Well, not even the "old" Greek Gods and Godesses weren't without melting. Apollo has usurped the functions of Helios in later. Artemis did the same with some other Godesses. The Romans just adapted their own pantheon to resemble others. It is a way to control subject nations.

Interestingly, there are a number of similarities between that and a number of "Christian" customs ...

Bogro

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 21:08:02 »
A very nice pair of customs, Tim.  Look forward to seeing more, Roman and Norse (and Greek, too, if you follow that route).
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”