Author Topic: I Spy, with my little eye...  (Read 4440 times)

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
I Spy, with my little eye...
« on: February 19, 2008, 13:33:04 »
The other day I posted to my Flickr account the result of my daughters overturning the box of new klickies that I had been keeping out of their reach until all their portraits had been taken for PlaymoDB. (Eleanor took most of the portraits, since she wanted to play with them very badly!) It was quite the jumble...

On Flickr, if you are a member, you can draw boxes around areas of anyone's photo and type a note associated with the box you drew: good for identifying people or having discussions about a certain thing in the photo.  (You may have to hover your mouse over the picture to see them.) Tiermann came along and drew boxes around a bunch of the klickies with links into PlaymoDB, and I thought I'd put it here for anyone else who'd like to do the same. They're mostly searchable in "Who's That Klicky?" as well, if you're stumped :) If you're a Flickr member (comes free with a Yahoo ID), click through to the Flickr page to leave a note or comment, at the bottom, of your own.

Here are the rest of my Playmobil pictures: not a great number, but a few nice ones.
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline gloobey

• Playmo Fanatic
    • My Illustration Website
Re: I Spy, with my little eye...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 17:14:01 »
I really love the way that Flickr combines pictures and comments. I have been using Flickr to view LEGO creations for awhile now and can see how helpful it would be for identifying Playmobil parts.

Perhaps a picture of a set in an "exploded view" state with part numbers and/or links added to it in Flickr?
What's the point of going, if you can't get there on a train?

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 17:46:44 »
I really love the way that Flickr combines pictures and comments. I have been using Flickr to view LEGO creations for awhile now and can see how helpful it would be for identifying Playmobil parts.

Perhaps a picture of a set in an "exploded view" state with part numbers and/or links added to it in Flickr?
Sounds useful - I hadn't thought about that!  I put out a call a few years ago now for volunteers to take photo-tutorials of assembling the more complicated sets (the ones that people keep looking for instructions for!) and didn't get any replies. If an enterprising builder were to photograph the parts laid out, page by page, and show the set assembled after each step, the parts could be linked to the PlaymoDB parts pages and vice versa.  Anyone interested, let me know!
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 23:45:31 »

Fun photos, Heather ...

Thanks for sharing!

I know that your head is usually in the DB mode ...
So. this is a bit off in a different direction ... ;)

When I saw two particular photos from your Flickr site, it reminded me of William Donahey's wonderful "Teenie Weenies" from the Sunday Comics of many years ago.

The Teenie Weenies were little people (about the same size as our Playmobil Klickys) that lived outside under the rosebush. They had many marvelous adventures and were often shown in the environment of the big people ... much like the two photos that I have attached here from your group.

All the best,
Richard
please see attachments ("borrowed" without permission)

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 00:55:51 »
Thanks Richard! The Teeny Weenies sound fun.  The Borrowers are my fictional little people of choice, which sound similar.  Klickies wander all over my house and cubicle, so I really ought to take more pictures of them among the effects of the Big People.  I just discovered my Mountaineer whom I thought was lost, who used to have his rock clipped to all kinds of dangerous precipices.

The links, for those wishing to click through:
messy desk
What are you looking at? Back to work!

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 01:44:56 »

Hello, Heather ...

Thanks Richard! The Teenie Weenies sound fun. 

The Borrowers are my fictional little people of choice, which sound similar.  Klickies wander all over my house and cubicle, so I really ought to take more pictures of them among the effects of the Big People.  I just discovered my Mountaineer whom I thought was lost, who used to have his rock clipped to all kinds of dangerous precipices.

The links, for those wishing to click through:
messy desk
What are you looking at? Back to work!

Mary Norton (famous for her Bedknobs and Broomsticks) was twenty years younger than William Donahey. Norton did a tour of duty in the United States during World War Two. It's quite possible, while she was living in New York, that she might have seen Donahey's Teenie Weenies in her Sunday newspaper.

Was Mary Norton's Borrowers influenced at all by William Donahey's Teenie Weenies? Who knows?

Regardless, both the Teenie Weenies and the Borrowers can certainly help to feed our imaginations when we look at our little Klickys ... ;)

All the best,
Richard

Offline gloobey

• Playmo Fanatic
    • My Illustration Website
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 05:00:19 »
I put out a call a few years ago now for volunteers to take photo-tutorials of assembling the more complicated sets (the ones that people keep looking for instructions for!) and didn't get any replies. If an enterprising builder were to photograph the parts laid out, page by page, and show the set assembled after each step, the parts could be linked to the PlaymoDB parts pages and vice versa.  Anyone interested, let me know!

This is right up my alley. I'm a technical illustrator that loves exploded views and assembly instructions:D Perhaps I could do one of these for you with the next big set that I purchase? Or do you have a list of sets that you think might be applicable? I'm definitely willing to give it a try. Can you let me know what format and resolution you'd like the pics in?

-Steve
What's the point of going, if you can't get there on a train?

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 13:10:39 »
Steve, that sounds great!  I bet you're just the one for the job.  Let's talk offline and bring the results back to the forum when we have something for people to try out.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 13:35:17 »

Hello, Heather ...

Steve, that sounds great!  I bet you're just the one for the job.  Let's talk offline and bring the results back to the forum when we have something for people to try out.

Are you sure that you and Steve really want to discuss what you want off-line?

Heather, I was thinking that, if you talk with Steve about the specifics of what you're looking for on-line, there might be a possibility that there are a few other PF members who could also lend a hand.

Just my two cents worth ...  :2c:

All the best,
Richard

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 14:03:55 »
That makes sense.  All right, new thread coming up then.