Author Topic: What's wrong with Playmobil? 2  (Read 16531 times)

Offline NovaBombardment

• Mii Enthusiast
  • Playmo Enthusiast
  • Enjoy what you like.
Re: What's wrong with Playmobil? 2
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2024, 17:06:30 »
I have a somewhat cursed habit of getting into something only a year or two before it completely ends. If one of the problems with Playmobil is losing money, they better turn that around so I can keep giving it to them. My most recent purchase was an incredible success too, so they better not go out of business any time soon.
I discovered Playmobil via the Wii game in 2023.

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2024, 22:36:23 »
I have a somewhat cursed habit of getting into something only a year or two before it completely ends. If one of the problems with Playmobil is losing money, they better turn that around so I can keep giving it to them. My most recent purchase was an incredible success too, so they better not go out of business any time soon.
After 50 years of being in business that isn't likely, more likely is that they'll cut costs by moving production to some cheaper place or offer more smaller sets - which they should do anyway.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2024, 06:26:58 »
I do wonder sometimes if whatever reason they have to have playmobil (it is NOT money, that much is more than clear) has faded or something, and they are attempting to end it.... :(

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2024, 13:17:31 »
After 50 years of being in business that isn't likely, more likely is that they'll cut costs by moving production to some cheaper place or offer more smaller sets - which they should do anyway.

I can't see them moving production, for both practical and cultural reasons. Malta was already chosen because it is cheap, and I suppose if they look to expand they might consider a cheaper European location, but being 'made in Europe' is one of their major marketing strategies.

A change in the types of sets, more recycling of parts, and focusing on the core European market are all more likely in my opinion.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2024, 15:01:49 »
We’ll now that the German Greens took a beating, hopefully they can move away from all the recycling, rubber bits, eco nonsense .  Playmobil is world renowned for durability, wholesome themes & …. Preaching to the choir…
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2024, 13:00:05 »
(...) and I suppose if they look to expand they might consider a cheaper European location, but being 'made in Europe' is one of their major marketing strategies.

Hey!! We're cheap. We're Europe.

Did I mention we're cheap?

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2024, 21:17:12 »
I do wonder sometimes if whatever reason they have to have playmobil (it is NOT money, that much is more than clear) has faded or something, and they are attempting to end it.... :(

The Lady Macbeth who took over after Horst bought the farm certainly seems not to give a darn about the brand. A deliberate attempt to undermine PM wouldn't look too different from what has actually been happening.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2024, 22:21:00 »
Hey!! We're cheap. We're Europe.

Did I mention we're cheap?
Ahh, the P in Pigs, yes, you can do it! Is your postal service as miserable as your neighbour though?

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2024, 22:29:01 »
'made in Europe' is one of their major marketing strategies.

Great point, I really never see playmobil ads outside the odd one posted on youtube. So if made in Europe is important then why not more European based cultural/history sets instead they've gone away from those in favour of modern life and fantasy.
They did a Greek gods set, I suspect a Norse gods theme would fly off the shelves if done right and a Celtic theme would be popular too.

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
  • Happy Little Victorians
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2024, 02:54:00 »
Good morning dear Friends  :wave:

I hope that you are all well.

Most of you will know that I am a Playmobil Victorian collector / Sylvanian Families collector since most accessories / buildings are Playmo compatible and equally beautifully made so I would say that I evolve in a bubble that often stays away from the new releases that I sometimes find interesting and at times more questionable.

If I may step into this conversation, I would like to share a few thoughts of mine on the topic of the brand.

After making headlines last autumn if I remember correctly with regards to a restructuring of the company resulting in laying off 700 most certainly long term employees which came as a shock to many including myself but told us that Playmobil was facing a serious crisis from which I believe it has not yet recovered.

I believe all companies are publishing their results at the end of the financial year so how did the brand Perform in terms of sales and market share over the past 5/10 years and is the brand simply struggling to stay alive in today's ever evolving world and market.

I am present on X / IG / YT / Tiktok and I have noticed over the past 2 years that the once adored by children brand is now going almost unnoticed when it comes to advertising or posting online with very few if no interaction with its fans as it used to and that is concerning. I do remember seeing much more interaction in the years prior to the lockdown and it often saddens me that posts from the brand and its UK and US versions have only a couple of replies and handful of likes, mostly from aficionados like ourselves.

Where does the brand stand as far as the kids toy market is concerned and how popular or not is with today's kids would be my question since its survival will depend on this ?

From my own little bubble, I personally found that Playmobil was most definitely making a step in the direction of collectors with the release of iconic cars that for most only the older generation will remember and I do find them beautifully made and detailed.

I believe that the brand is doing its best to try and stay relevant in today's world and I most sincerely hope that they will succeed in doing so as I would be very sad if our beloved brand was one day no more as a company survival ultimately is about being relevant and profitable.

I wish you all a lovely day !

Karim :gent:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2024, 11:25:15 by playmovictorian »
La, tout n'est qu'ordre et beaute, luxe, calme et volupte. L'Invitation au Voyage. Charles Baudelaire.1857.