Author Topic: Geobra redundancies and outsourcing, restructuring Playmobil (Autumn 2023)  (Read 11088 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
I certainly agree with what you said about Everdreamerz, Klickteryx. The demographic at which Everdreamerz was aimed have numerous competing options on which to spend their/ their parents' money. Just considering the "fashion dolls" my daughters could - and did - collect; Barbie, MyScene, Bratz, Monster High, etc., there was a bewildering variety of different options.

Your comment
...playmobil ... needs to do ... klicky with a cat head (they have bunnies but need others).

Reminded me of what one of my daughters said a few years ago

My 10 year old daughter has been playing with the Easter Bunny figures over the last couple of weeks and really likes them. She is going to write to Playmobil and suggest they do more animal-klickies (like Sylvanian Families/Calico Critters). I think she has more chance of getting Geobra to listen than us collectors ever will!

To which tahra's response was...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
 :lol: :lol: :lol:
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
The demographic at which Everdreamerz was aimed have numerous competing options on which to spend their/ their parents' money. Just considering the "fashion dolls" my daughters could - and did - collect; Barbie, MyScene, Bratz, Monster High, etc., there was a bewildering variety of different options.

Lego introduced their Friends range to have a go at this market and radically changed the way the core minifigs looked to do it. Playmobil has done something similar with the speedo/teen designs for ranges like Ayuma. The main difference as Collectobart mentioned is that playmobil plays second fiddle to lego so they have to compete on price and content rather than trying to be creative with packaging.

Looking at some of the product that comes out of playmobil reminds me of those toy shops who refuse to stock 'violent' toys and like to stock good ol' toys made from blocks of wood. I assume the owners of such places also own the building.

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
Hah there are more than a few of those shops where I live, most of them used to carry PM but have dropped it in recent years  :'(

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
I think if playmobil is going to crack the pop culture market it needs to do more manga style figures. Generic manga/anime types like school uniform, dungeon adventurer (Novelmore gets close with this), klicky with a cat head (they have bunnies but need others). These can be done without licences and are generic looks that are familiar to manga readers and anime fans. Naruto is great but expensive. Everdreamerz was a good idea but too expensive with too much focus on packaging and surprise boxes. Save the complicated packaging as an option and instead have the main characters available as blister packs. I'm not sure of the logic behind having mystery boxes for a franchise that doesn't have any status outside playmobil. You're asking people to gamble on getting a character the end user wants from an otherwise unknown line.

That's an interesting idea. There's also a growing reader base for manhua and manhwa (the Chinese and Korean version of manga). There's a lot of overlap between the three, but they each have their own nuances. I'm not sure how much of the reader base would be into Playmobil, although recent Korean exclusives suggest that there is some market there.

A "Me, My Weapon, and My Apex Predator" series would fit into this general theme. Ayuma is definitely pairing klickies with animals, so this would be similar but not in the fairy world.

Folklore creatures would likely be popular; there are a number of comic and anime series that incorporate both eastern and western traditional and fairy tale animals and humanoid beings. Tanuki would be great (they are a real animal, but they are present in folklore). Nine-tailed foxes are trendy.

It would be nice to see more traditional Asian costumes (for the historical fantasy crowd and the historical crowd).

Real-world items and sets that would be cool to see:
a festival (food stands, strings of paper lanterns, people in yukata, etc.) It's a standard high school anime episode.
a shiba inu (dog - a little rounder than a husky and the tail is a bit different)
a maneki neko (lucky cat figure)
rice balls, triangle gimbap
bungeoppang / taiyaki (fish-shaped waffle-like pastry filled with sweet bean paste - I've never had one, but they look amazing.)

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
JLMatterer has revealed Playmobil's new Chief Marketing Officer, Julia Straschil, previously in that same role at Capri Sun:

https://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=15736.msg324501#msg324501

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
JLMatterer has revealed Playmobil's new Chief Marketing Officer, Julia Straschil, previously in that same role at Capri Sun:

https://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=15736.msg324501#msg324501

Are Playmobil clutching at straws?
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Thanks to JLMatterer and Playmobil in the News, this comes from Leadersnet Deutschland (translation by Google);

"Playmobil is in crisis
NEWS, TRADE, INDUSTRY
| editorial staff | November 27, 2023
The toy manufacturer has been in trouble since a former secretary of the late owner took over the management role.

Playmobil has been in a deep crisis since Marianne Albert, former secretary of the late owner Horst Brandstätter, took over the reins. Sales and profits collapse, 17 percent of the workforce has to leave. Before its 50th anniversary, the once successful company is in the shadow of the question of how this crash came about.

Brandstätter, who expanded the company into a global corporation thanks to the success of the Playmobil figures, left a complex will that reorganized the balance of power. Marianne Albert, once his secretary, became a loyal helper and gained more and more influence after his death.

Marianne Albert has led the company for the last eight years, characterized by opaque decisions and a questionable management style, as manager magazin reports. The once highly profitable company's profits plummeted and sales fell, while its main competitor Lego grew. A lack of modernization, a lack of management methods and an unsuccessful search for strategic solutions by external consultants contributed to the misery. Even big plans, like producing Netflix series, were never implemented.

Realignment with massive cuts

The current leadership announced massive cuts, including the loss of 700 jobs by 2025. Former CEO Steffen Höpfner resigned, criticizing the slow transformation and emphasizing the need for change. Marianne Albert, on the other hand, is relying on her CFO René Feser to realign the group.

A shadow hangs over the question of how the former formula for success, which was based on the wishes of the children, was lost. The introduction of modern management methods and the recruitment of a top manager from Disney were intended to turn things around, but so far these efforts have been unsuccessful. The move away from tried-and-tested products towards new, less successful items resulted in a massive loss of capital.

Inhumane and condescending form of leadership

The situation is exacerbated by the tension between Marianne Albert and the employees. The allegations of “inhumane behavior” and a “condescending” attitude on the part of management cast a shadow on the corporate culture. A former advisory board member complains about the lack of modern management approaches and a lack of trust in external experts.

The question remains whether the upcoming anniversary celebration with a Playmobil stamp can bring the brand back into the spotlight. At a time when the best minds are leaving the company, the challenges are not only economic, but also in terms of restoring trust and innovative strength. The outcome remains uncertain and the future of Playmobil is facing a decisive turning point."
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
"external consultants" - people who know nothing about your company you bring in to tell you how to run it
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”