Author Topic: Fire brigade flatbed truck with HIAB crane  (Read 8433 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Fire brigade flatbed truck with HIAB crane
« on: October 21, 2007, 19:51:13 »
For a long time now I've been wanting to build a fire brigade vehicle with a HIAB crane. The first problem was finding a HIAB crane in the right scale, but after two or three years of checking in model shops and on the internet I found one made by the Finnish firm EMEK to go with their 1:24 scale trucks.

The next decision was the sort of fire brigade vehicle to make. I thought at first of a rescue vehicle based on the 3880, but the HIAB meant a loss of the rear storage space. Eventually, I decided on a flatbed, using the 3880 chassis and cab and the flatbed from the dino tracked vehicle (pinching the last idea from FireChief).

The finished vehicle is a fire support vehicle and would be used to ferry supplies and equipment to major incidents or between stations. So here are some photos of it. Its German designation would be an LKW.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Fire brigade flatbed truck with HIAB crane
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 19:54:24 »
The photos show it carrying two palettes of sandbags for dealing with flooding, but it may also carry smaller loads where the HIAB would not be any use. So a loading/unloading ramp is carried behind the cab for these situations, together with a manually operated winch
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 19:56:32 »
Lastly, a photo of the manual winch close-up.

I'm thinking now that a trailer using the same flatbed would be nice, possible using the tipper trailer chassis from the THW set 4082.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 03:10:44 »
That is one nice looking truck. I really like how you mounted it in the rear of the truck .   :wow: If you ever have or do come across a cab mounted crane that can be used as a log loader please let me know . I am going to try to find the company that made the knuckle boom crane that you used . My Rail company is logging for a new line and i want a picture scene with self loaders . http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dsc/album/harv/self-loading.jpg
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 06:44:15 »
That is one nice looking truck. I really like how you mounted it in the rear of the truck .   :wow: If you ever have or do come across a cab mounted crane that can be used as a log loader please let me know . I am going to try to find the company that made the knuckle boom crane that you used . My Rail company is logging for a new line and i want a picture scene with self loaders . http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dsc/album/harv/self-loading.jpg
Thank you, Rasputin.  Here's a link to the UK company I bought from and, as you see, there is a timber crane:

http://www.toysinstock.co.uk/products.asp?cg=emek&offset=30

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 14:17:23 »
Thats it Playmofire Ya hoooo thats it .  :love: I need the 71001. Is that the same scale of the crane you used ? the one you have fits perfect.

all i have to do is find it here in the states or have it shipped over .

THANK YOU . :wow:
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 14:28:07 »
All the EMEK trucks and accessories are 1:25, and as you can see they do  some nice logging trucks (they also offer spare logs as accessories, but you will know all these things if you've explored the website link).

If you can't find a US supplier, I'm sure we can sort something out.

Offline Jimbo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 16:52:31 »
Hi Playmofire,

That is a very interesting truck.
Very well done :yup:

Best regards,
Jimbo

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 18:03:39 »
This is truly amazing as allways Gordon. I know i say it all the time but you never fail to amaze me with your custom work and attention to detail. The Hiab crane is a wonderfull peice of kit and fits perfectly in both scale and looks. I really do like the option of having the alternate loading method (the winch), a true multi purpose vehicle.

Thank you for taking the time to share it with us Gordon,

Tim  :wave:

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 05:14:35 »
 :omg:  :wow: Wow, this is a superb vehicle. Very well thought over for perfect usage on duty. The HIAB crane is really a pretty cool item, about which I was wondering for a while why it's not produced at any vehicle provided directly from Playmobil. This would also be a good accessory for the new city services unimog coming next February. And also for some drinks trucks this kind of tool is used (at least in Germany) for some vehicles, or for workmans trucks.