Author Topic: Toby Goes to the Zoo  (Read 14105 times)

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Re: Toby Goes to the Zoo
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2015, 17:40:26 »
This just gets more amazing. It must have taken a ton of time to put together all the different spaces, even if they were only together briefly for the photos. I love the gazelle in the stall with a tag on the wall in the background of the hay store shot. Just amazing amounts of detail.

Offline Raven

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2015, 20:12:36 »
Thank you everybody for the wonderful comments.  Because of those, I'm inserting here a little interlude regarding the background to this story.

As many of you have guessed, I built this zoo in small parts.  I only have a dining table to build Playmobil upon - so I built one part; then dismantled it, and built another part:

I wanted to build a zoo, and I couldn't afford all the lovely things that I thought I'd need.  I had things like walls, but I had nil zoo animals apart from a baby monkey and a shark (which doesn't get used, so please don't await the shark exhibit). So I bought some 'bargain' secondhand sets which included zoo animals.  My bargains looked kind of like this:

OK, so now can I build a zoo out of what I've got?  It was like a personal challenge.  I did buy two new sets to help - one is a group of animals that Toby won't even see; and the other was the recent add-on hospital radiology set, to help along my veterinary hospital.  But that was all.  The rest was 'making do with what I've got'.

I did build every part, even though I didn't photograph every part.  (I don't think anyone wants to see endless toilets in every building, as well as the public toilets that Toby passed, or used, for example.)  Here in the recent veterinary hospital, as an illustration, the red arrow shows one of the very unexciting Scrub Rooms, where the vets wash before performing operations; and the green arrow shows the very dark Dark Room which joins onto the Radiology department.

I didn't build the zoo in order.  I 'knew' the story about Toby - that existed from the beginning of my idea - but I didn't do it in sequence.  I bulit whatever part I fancied doing at the time.  The Veterinary Hospital was actually the last part I built.  That was built in sections, and took two weeks to complete at two hours per day.  In the meantime, Mr Raven and myself had to eat at our computer desks.  As you can see above, there was no room left on the dining table to actually dine there.

The whole zoo took 51 weeks to complete.  It wasn't built non-stop of course.  Other parts of life happened, and sometimes I built other unrelated things in-between.  But I started it on 2nd December 2014, and completed it on 27th November 2015.

(And if you are observant, you can guess what was built when.  The summer-build parts are beautifully light and bright; and the winter-build parts are ... not.  Sometimes, I had to take photos right there and then, regardless of the lack of light or the stormy weather, before my muddy-paw cats came in and trampled all over my nice ground-cover cloths or card.)

On with the story tomorrow.....

Have a good time, make life cheerful and bright, dance if you want to, sing if you can, play as long as you live and leave the world with a smile - Lemuel K. Washburn

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2015, 21:33:47 »
Thank you everybody for the wonderful comments.  Because of those, I'm inserting here a little interlude regarding the background to this story.

Thank you! :) 

I always love to see the "making of"..

I did build every part, even though I didn't photograph every part.  (I don't think anyone wants to see endless toilets in every building, as well as the public toilets that Toby passed, or used, for example.) 

Well.. I disagree... this IS a playmoforum, so, if you built it, take pics and post them! I mean, if someone doesn't wanna see, don't look... easy  :P

The whole zoo took 51 weeks to complete.  It wasn't built non-stop of course.  Other parts of life happened, and sometimes I built other unrelated things in-between.  But I started it on 2nd December 2014, and completed it on 27th November 2015.

:o  8}

But it is AMAZING. :wow:

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2015, 22:52:38 »
That's amazing you took a full year on this project. It really shows in the level of work!

Offline leefert

• Playmo Master
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2015, 23:01:39 »
That's amazing you took a full year on this project. It really shows in the level of work!

That is true.  I doubt that I could have resisted posting pictures that long! 

I'm amazed at the variety of buildings and the total level of thought put into it.  I love the different buildings and enclosures, to me that makes a zoo unique.  I love the work!
I'm glad that I'm not the only one :)

Offline Raven

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2015, 05:02:31 »
Part 7:  Elephants
and: What Toby Didn't See

'Wow!  Elephants!' said Toby.

'Look, Daddy, there's a baby one too!' said Toby.

'And look at that!' said Toby, 'Elephants are so strong!'

'I like Elephants,' said Toby.

'I'm really glad I got to see Elephants,' said Toby.

'You'll want to go into the Elephant Information Centre, then, Toby,' said Daddy.

'Oh no,' said Toby, 'I liked looking at Elephants, but I don't want to read information about them.'

What Toby Didn't See:

The off-exhibit Elephant House.

And the African Elephant Information Centre.

What Toby Saw:

'Here's another big map,' said Toby.

'We're very near the Restaurant,' said Daddy, 'I think we should go and get some lunch now.'

'Can't we go to the Children's Play Area?' asked Toby.

'You can go to the Children's Play Area after we've had lunch,' said Mummy.  'But look, we're also near the Macaws.  I love Macaws.  Let's see those first, then have lunch after that.'

Tomorrow:  Part 8:  Macaws
and: What Toby Didn't See
Have a good time, make life cheerful and bright, dance if you want to, sing if you can, play as long as you live and leave the world with a smile - Lemuel K. Washburn

Offline leefert

• Playmo Master
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2015, 05:18:05 »
Yay!!! Is it tomorrow yet?

Btw I love the elephant house!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 17:32:34 by leefert »

Offline Daniela

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2015, 08:38:42 »
Can´t wait to see more!

This thread is like a drug!  :lol:

Daniela
Enjoy my Playmobil Opera and much more:
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/102361137865573914508

Offline leefert

• Playmo Master
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2015, 08:56:36 »
Can´t wait to see more!

This thread is like a drug!  :lol:

Daniela

Or your favorite tv show when it throws a cliff-hanger ending at you

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2015, 15:57:37 »
Love the train going by in the background, nice motion detail there :)