Author Topic: Shameless ripoff of a fellow collector's custom  (Read 3273 times)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Shameless ripoff of a fellow collector's custom
« on: March 11, 2015, 13:28:03 »
I don't know how many of you have seen this, it's on THAT site...

For a collection in spain, they used the Troubador pirateclick created:

Original custom, right here on pf: Troubadour

Link on THAT site: here

This is a shameless act. Having nothing to do with this, I'm furious.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Re: Shameless ripoff of a fellow collector's custom
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 18:01:00 »
What does a pirate expect not to be pirated himself  :lol:

What is the magazine picture about? What is "that bad experience" about?

It looks to be a perfect ripoff from your pictures.
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 21:50:25 »
Well, I guess I am the only one who is mad about this..

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 22:21:22 »
Well, I guess I am the only one who is mad about this..

No, I have to behave and saying what I think will get me in trouble

I will just say "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline hauden_lukas

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 03:41:05 »
I know what you mean, Tahra. But we all have to be aware that all we show here or there can be copied by anyone. In fact, sometimes it is very likely that two people have the same idea.

Years ago, I created some napoleonic sappers out of orginal Playmobil parts. Soon after, I noticed lots of imitations all around the Playmobil soldiers scene (exhibitions...).

And as Geobra stated, there's no copyright/patent. It would be different if they had used the original picture he took. I would be proud if I had customized a unique figure and would find it in a magazine.

Cheers,
HDL

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 06:33:38 »
Yeah, I also think it's appalling that whoever designed that booklet clearly copied pirateclick's custom (it's not a lookalike, it's an exact copy), without any mention of him, but legally they are very much allowed to do so.

It's a good warning though, for all of us.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 08:43:18 »
I know LEGALLY there is nothing to do. Just cause it's legal doesn't mean it's right (it's the corollary of "it might not be legal but it sure ain't a crime" - Bon Jovi ;) ).

I know when we post stuff others will copy it. We all see stuff we like in someone else's work. I have been "inspired" by others. I have copied them? Yes. Hades, I will probably copy his troubadour as well - though mine will not be an EXACT copy (because I don't want him to be). But I'm not publishing a mag for profit. When I know, I say whose work "inspired" mine. I hope mine served as inspiration to others too.

I mean, actually sharing it's part of the fun, no?

It would be a simple matter of giving him credit. Nothing more.

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 09:04:56 »
True, especialy because it's not even a clicky inspired by the original custom, it IS the original custom. Right up to the instrument!

Who knows, with all the attention it's getting on Facebook, maybe the person responsible will respond?

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 09:12:37 »
True, especialy because it's not even a clicky inspired by the original custom, it IS the original custom. Right up to the instrument!

I think the neckpiece/beard/hair combo is a lot more telling than the instrument...

Who knows, with all the attention it's getting on Facebook, maybe the person responsible will respond?

Maybe.. playmobil said something in the lines that it can't be copyrighted (the custom)..  So, they do see it.

Offline Baron Marshall

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 10:13:47 »
Is the magazine put out by Playmobil? If so I don't really see a problem as it would get tedious acknowledging every person they copied customs from since their policy has always been, we see it, we like it, we make it. My mom still has copies of original set designs that I sent the hq as a child (detailed full contents stuff) that match the finished product exactly (might have to see if I can get them next time I make the 8 hr drive). Though in those days we did get a nice thank you letter and free keychain shipped from Deitenhoffen.  However, if the magazine is third party, then there is a reason to be upset with the person who didn't tell the magazine where they found this troubadour... which I am also going to copy  :)
Someday, I will organize my stuff, I promise.