Author Topic: set 7968 - an ebay mystery  (Read 4697 times)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
set 7968 - an ebay mystery
« on: February 08, 2015, 06:22:19 »
So I saw a lot of Romans on ebay. It was four horses and riders, and a chariot and charioteer. I contacted the seller and said, I'll take the cavalry but I'm not interested in the chariot. The seller was kind enough to relist the cavalry separately, and I won that auction.

Here's the listing of the lot I won: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Playmobil-4-soldiers-4-horse-ROMAN-CAVALRY-/321646856171

If you are from the future and that link is dead, here is the photo from that listing: http://i.imgur.com/8js4hVf.jpg

Pretty cool right? A rapid expansion of my ala of legionary horsemen (though cavalry would be carrying spears not pila, right?). And...the group is obviously custom. I mean obviously, right? Without even looking at that seller's other listings, which feature some very accomplished themed custom work, we can tell that this is a grouping assembled out of other Roman sets. Put together for an ebay sale.

Well imagine my shock and surprise when I opened up the German box to find...a sealed DS bag containing the four horses and riders. See:

SEALED. Wtf? I know my Roman sets cold, and there was NO Roman cavalry set with four horses and riders. Didn't happen.

So I turn the package over...

WHAT??? Set 7968??? No way. There was never any such Roman set. And googling "playmobil 7968" gets...a chimneysweep: https://www.google.com/search?num=20&es_sm=93&q=playmobil+7968

But the bag is sealed! Virgin plastic! Does Seller X come from an alternate reality in which the Roman theme was twice as large and continues to this day? (And how do I get to that reality??) Or does Seller X possess a DS bag machine and label printer?

Any other ideas?

I have reached out to the seller asking for more information. No reply as of yet. And yes I left positive feedback. Always.

What is going on here?
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline hauden_lukas

• Playmo Addict
Re: set 7968 - an ebay mystery
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 07:46:43 »
Forged.

You can seal any bag with a household sealer.

Cheers,
GDP

PS: You really paid $49???

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 09:17:12 »
 8}  Strange things happening...

The plastic bag is re-sealed easily enough, but what about the label? Did the seller fake it, or is it just an old bag for the chimney sweep? The last option is rather unlikely, since it's dated 29.10.2014.
But why would anyone forge a label with a non-existent Playmobil reference number?  :eh?:

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 10:51:57 »
Looks like a home job to me. Aren't klickies made in malta, klickies and horses don't come assembled with helmets and rideing gear on either.

Why people ask? Just for this reason alone....to watch the speculation wheels spin. In the past there have been so many fake sets created just to drive the collectors mad, it works. To prove the point go get a photoshopped picture of the Mississippi steam boat, place a modern looking box with new set number and watch the reaction feast. Some members have lots of computer experience and free time
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 12:43:17 »
I agree with the others. The seller may have just used that bag to protect the parts. I'm not sure about the label though.
~Pynedor~

Offline hauden_lukas

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 15:47:47 »
Quote from: Birdie
The last option is rather unlikely, since it's dated 29.10.2014

That's the "best before" date ... ;D

So, sorry to say, Marcuran, but you bought an expired bag of Playmobil.  :lol:

Offline gassy

• Playmo Fanatic
    • Playmobil
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 17:58:45 »
Sorry, the bag is from the Set  chimney sweep 7968
http://www.playmobil.de/Schornsteinfeger-mit-Gluecksschweinchen/7968.html

The Romans were expensive
gassy
#‎PlaymobilQuixote

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 18:26:58 »
Sorry, the bag is from the Set  chimney sweep 7968
http://www.playmobil.de/Schornsteinfeger-mit-Gluecksschweinchen/7968.html

The Romans were expensive
gassy

Do you really think it was repackaged using the small specials bag that 7968 came in?

I thought the plastic bag inside a special was tiny. This one looks a lot larger. Also why would a special have a DS label? Also a set discontinued a while ago with a 2014 date?
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline gassy

• Playmo Fanatic
    • Playmobil
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 19:15:43 »
Do you really think it was repackaged using the small specials bag that 7968 came in?

I thought the plastic bag inside a special was tiny. This one looks a lot larger. Also why would a special have a DS label? Also a set discontinued a while ago with a 2014 date?

I can`t find my bag quickly, the bags vary in the size.
or the level was exchanged, the romans from ebay was used

gassy

#‎PlaymobilQuixote

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 20:04:34 »
That's the "best before" date ... ;D

So, sorry to say, Marcuran, but you bought an expired bag of Playmobil.  :lol:

Hahaha! I'll let you know if they turn green...or into lower quality plastic! :D

Arguing against an attempt to stoke speculation is the fact that the pieces were advertised UNbagged. There was no photo of any bag on the original listing.

The seller has replied that they have more, but unbagged. I've asked a further question about the origin of the bag and number and will report here.

re: paying too much: Yes I am not a canny trader, I have made many stupid ebay purchases! I probably should have done a DS order through GrahamB but when I saw that set I saw a rapid way to expand my Roman cavalry - those red saddles don't show up very often. Now I have them, I think I might crack open one of my mint 7880's to increase ridership. Might get some brown bridles though, red looks too rich.

I dunno. I'm certainly not in this for the money! :D

"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman: