Author Topic: Auction features....good, bad & ugly  (Read 2670 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Auction features....good, bad & ugly
« on: January 02, 2015, 17:54:50 »
Seems so many members these days use auction sites to source their playmo addiction. Makes sense, get more playmo for way less money, especially if someone already touched it. Also auctions have, quite successfully, been used to find old treasured sets. How else could a newer collector get a merry men's feast with out flying to Europe, driving around for a few months visiting tiny villages and digging through some dusty shopkeepers piles, good luck at that. I personally have been using them for a few years now and have seen quite a few features come and go. Some good, some bad, and few ugly.

What auction features do you, wish for, miss, or want to never see again?

I used to really like being able to see my fellow bidders ID. I could get a lot of info from that. What do they buy, how do they bid, how deep is their pocket, are they rational or crazy, do they really want this set? So much info has been censored and the bidding is a bit more steril for me.
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
Re: Auction features....good, bad & ugly
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 19:17:43 »
I tend to look for full sets in good condition, so that it wouldnt be much different from buying it in the store.

Though on occasion theres some nice figures and parts that I dont mind buying seperatly due to already having the full sets they come from or them comeing from sets that have stuff I dont care about and which would just take up space..

I have two swan squires for example, but dont have the swan tournament tent. I'd still want that set sometimes but know how rare it is.

More than a year back I saw many great sets of the 90's, when I wasnt using online auctions for long yet. Having spend quite a bit already at the time, I didnt want to spend more. I have ever since regretted not getting those sets since it included the hunters set, the hollow tree set, the swan tournament tent and various other sets of that time.. Basicly many sets that I still REALLY want to get my hands on. They where all in great condition too and while the prices where a bit steep, it wasnt too out of proportion considering how rare the sets are and their great condition.

Furthermore I still try to get fleur de lis soldiers when possible, but obviously dont need more prison carts or royal courts. Other 90's soldiers are welcome too, and of course all medieval civilians or pirates that can pass for civilians.

Quite happy about a small batch I got in early december since it included the female archer figure, the indian woman figure, a peasant woman, a templar knight and the dwarf figure.

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 20:47:49 »
You're going to think I'm crazy, but I actually don't like bidding. I like seeing a fixed price and deciding then and there if I think it is worth it at that time, for me.

What bothers me most is not the auctions, but the delivery system. If it's not sent through the mail, but through delivery companies (like UPS), you really have to be home to receive the package, or else they ring every doorbell in the street and leave the package with whoever happens to open the door there.
I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to do that really, I think they should come back another time, but those delivery guys flatout refuse to. 

Offline leefert

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 21:14:30 »
I just want to know that I'm not getting beaten by a last second (literally) bid placed on someone's behalf by a computer program.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one :)

Offline Walts-Trains

• Playmo Lover
    • Walts Playm0bil Collection
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 21:18:40 »
Birdie,
Did you know you can arrange for UPS and other delivery companies to leave your good in a safe place if you are not at home.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 22:52:12 »
Birdie,
Did you know you can arrange for UPS and other delivery companies to leave your good in a safe place if you are not at home.

Yes, our UPS, DHL & USPS drivers all have our gate code but for some reason they insist on throwing them over, where our GermanShepard greets them. Hmm I wonder why they don't just open the gate. Now my wife got him a companion small dog and that pup finds it fun to rip at them. Still, I met them all and they know how to get the boxes to us.

I just want to know that I'm not getting beaten by a last second (literally) bid placed on someone's behalf by a computer program.

I like sniping at the last second, but no computer, just itch trigger finger all natural.
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 23:20:10 »

I swear by esnipe when the item is something I simply must have. I mean, everyone's got a maximum price they're willing to pay for a given item, right? Why not just snipe that price and avoid a tedious bidding war, especially when the final hours will be when you're at work or fast asleep.

In short, I like esnipe.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 12:18:44 »
I like the "buy it now" feature myself.  If I think the price is too high, I just skip it.  When I do bid on an item, I set a price in my head and put that in.  If it goes over, I take that as a sign that it wasn't meant to be.  I have bid on mixed sets of odds and ends because I see one or two items in the mix that I've been lusting over, hoping others have missed them when looking or just not interested in the same things.  Have ended up with lots of spare parts that way that I'm not really interested in though.  I try to give those away to someone who can use them.   :lol:

Joe
"One cat just leads to another."
 - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 12:27:45 »
Birdie,

Do you mean they are supposed to take it back to the warehouse, so that we can go pick it up there? I know, it says so in the agreement, but those delivery people have a mind of their own. They just keep repeating that delivery at that exact moment is the only option (when they call my phone to inform me that I'm not at home and to ask if they can leave the package with the neighbours).

Or do you mean they can leave it in a shed in the back or something? No can do, we live in the city, in a terraced house. And the mailbox slit is too narrow for packages.

Offline Pippa

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 22:15:04 »
I miss being able to sort by bidding activity - or something like that.  It was fun.

I use to stalk sellers and buyers but agree that it's gotten very sterile. 

Oh and I miss cheap postage.