Author Topic: 5300 Victorian mansion (version 3 - from 1995)  (Read 10109 times)

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
Re: 5300 Victorian mansion (version 3 - from 1995)
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 07:44:35 »
I have a question...how can you tell that it is the "3rd version?" I know there was a difference in the family room wallpaper at some point. I have this same set. I'm assuming it's the 3rd version, since I purchased it shortly before it was discontinued. But I would be interested to know how you officially can tell between all three versions.

I have a Playmobil Collector catalogue, so I looked up when the first and second versions were released and what the boxes looked like.

- The first mansion has 1989/1990 - 1991-1992 for dates. I think that's the one I got as a kid. The back of the box was either styrofoam or plain white cardboard, I don't remember there being a diorama on the back. I don't think they ever did that with big boxes. And at that point, they didn't have a detailed shot of all the pieces and clickies on the back yet.

- The second mansion has 1991/1992 - 1995. The front of the box shows the regular picture of the outside of the house, but also a smaller picture showing the inside, in the left top corner. I suppose there wasn't a detailed picture on the back of the box yet either, at that point. Other sets from 1993, for example,  still had dioramas on the back, as far as I can remember.

- The third mansion has 1995-2004. The picture on the front of the box is slightly different, with the family in a different pose and sketched outlines of the city for background. The main difference is that the back of the box has the detailed pictures of what is inside.

I've never known of a difference in wallpaper though  :eh?:

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2014, 08:25:17 »
Or before!  :P

Let's say I normally open a box as soon as I've paid for it.  :lol:

Great review :)  (though we disagree on it being the best set ever!)

:o

Which one do you mean? The Colorado Springs Station? The 3666 Knights Castle?

I will be anxious to see what you do to expand and customize your other 5300.  Let me know if you need any extra parts, I may be able to help you out on that score.   :)

Well, I've got a spare 5300 and a spare 5305, several pink gazebo sets and some spare parts from E-bay, but the main problem is finding the 7411 extra floor. I need several flat connectors and single window wall pieces, but have you seen how much they're charging for those extra floors on E-bay?!  :o
I don't suppose you've got any of those bits to sell?  :)

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2014, 14:23:29 »
I will check to see what I have and PM you.

Joe
"One cat just leads to another."
 - Ernest Hemingway

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2014, 15:40:19 »
I'm afraid the discussion about the best set would be a humongous off topic here. Though the house is very nice, victorian or dollhouses are not my fave, so it would never be the best for me. If we're going with huge sets, would DEFINITELY be steck, and probably castle. Play value for that is off scale. I mean, I probably spent HOURS playing with my sister's magician workshop (first steck thingy we ever got).

Offline DrDalek6

• Playmo Master
    • BTCV Mini Carbon Army
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2014, 21:10:24 »
Very nice review made all the better by your love of the set good for you that you've managed to get a mint one after all those years. It does indeed look like a really great set so much detail, I don't think I'd have made a good job with those stickers though if it had been me  :-[. It's certainly nostalgic for me as well seeing all those dioramas on the sides and in the catlaogue just like I remember them in  my very first catalogue makes me very happy to see them again particularly the market and the photos of the house vibrant and full of life  :) 

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2014, 21:21:39 »
Thank you DrDralek  :)  Those old pictures do bring back memories  :love:

@Tahra: That magician with apprentice and his castle are pretty great! Favourites all depend on personal experience, for sure.

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2014, 22:19:18 »
It's a very beautifull set, I can understand that they retired the victorian theme for a while but they really should bring it back sometimes, including dollhouse of course!

As for best set.. I do think its more beautifull than the 3666, it's more unique.. though the mansion relies heavily on other sets to complete it whereas the 3666 and all castles are on their own already fully ready to play. So I say the 5300 wins in beauty, but the 3666 in play potential when judging it purely on its own merit.

Not that I mind though, I really like it when a theme forms a great combination when its all is combined.. greater than the sum of their parts. It does seem a bit random these days when you combine everything of a released batch together.

Offline blondeziggy2

• Playmo Pal
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2014, 18:39:28 »
I have a Playmobil Collector catalogue, so I looked up when the first and second versions were released and what the boxes looked like.

- The first mansion has 1989/1990 - 1991-1992 for dates. I think that's the one I got as a kid. The back of the box was either styrofoam or plain white cardboard, I don't remember there being a diorama on the back. I don't think they ever did that with big boxes. And at that point, they didn't have a detailed shot of all the pieces and clickies on the back yet.

- The second mansion has 1991/1992 - 1995. The front of the box shows the regular picture of the outside of the house, but also a smaller picture showing the inside, in the left top corner. I suppose there wasn't a detailed picture on the back of the box yet either, at that point. Other sets from 1993, for example,  still had dioramas on the back, as far as I can remember.

- The third mansion has 1995-2004. The picture on the front of the box is slightly different, with the family in a different pose and sketched outlines of the city for background. The main difference is that the back of the box has the detailed pictures of what is inside.

I've never known of a difference in wallpaper though  :eh?:

Thank you Birdie for an explanation of the different versions! It's very helpful. It's amazing to me that this set was produced for such a long period of time. It's my favorite set too.

Several years ago, I read that the gold wallpaper in the main family room was slightly different in the first version. But I'm not positive about that.

Your review is excellent. I'm so happy that you were able to get a mint 5300. What a treasure!

Offline Pippa

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 20:30:46 »
Getting to open a MISB 5300, what fun!!!  And great review.  Thanks for posting!

Your detailed pics have reminded me what a beautiful set this is.  :love:

Offline sunflower

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2014, 08:43:38 »
Really loved to read about your treasure opening experience. Such a great set!  :love:
Thank you!
life in plastic it's fantastic