Author Topic: Swords and ponytails  (Read 1944 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Swords and ponytails
« on: July 12, 2014, 17:57:02 »
What do these two parts have in common? Both have been issued by Geobra in two different forms (i.e. created with different molds) without changing the part number/ETN.

The sword in question is the one described in PlaymoDB as ‘Sword, guard curves away from blade’ which comes in five known part numbers;
30 21 8492 (black) found in set 4869 only
30 03 1590 (dark metal) found in 18 sets
30 09 1840 (gold) found in 16 sets
30 21 8340 (gold) found only in sets 3841 and 4534
30 07 6420 (light grey) – could also be described as silver- found in 130 sets

Earlier versions of this sword did have one guard curving up towards the hand grip, as well as one guard perpendicular to the blade, forming a cross. See the top row of swords in the picture below.

In more recent (and current) sets, this sword is issued with two parallel guards, both perpendicular to the blade (as in the lower row of swords in the picture above).

What I find interesting is that the same part numbers were used despite the change in the mold and an obvious change in the shape of the sword. I have no idea why Geobra changed the sword (perhaps the curved-up guard gets in the way of some other accessories like greaves or gloves?), but it is clear from box pictures and building instructions (where part number is listed next to the part) that no change in the part number was made, which seems out of keeping with Geobra’s normal practice.

The same thing (change of mold, no change of part numbers) happened with the ‘pony tail at back (no hat)’ hair. Later versions of this hairstyle have a thicker ponytail and it seems likely this was to prevent the ponytails snapping off (the earlier version was vulnerable to this); pictures below.

[The two ponytails shown both have part number 30 08 8680. Both brown versions of this hair have the part number 30 09 0700. The older blond version is 30 03 3060 but the newer version (which does exist) has a part number which is currently unknown.]

I know not everyone finds such things as part numbers interesting, but these two cases puzzle me. There are many examples where Geobra have reissued a part, identical to an older part, with a completely different part number. In several of the Spare Parts orders I have made, staff have substituted a part with a different number (but otherwise identical) where the part I ordered has been discontinued. So I can’t see why they have changed these parts without giving the new versions different numbers. There may well be other examples of such a situation.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
Re: Swords and ponytails
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 00:36:57 »
Well it's nice to have variation, gues I dont really care that much for the numbers but I'm not ordering specific parts either.

It's still the best sword model out there since others are less handy to put in belts due to being larger. Gladius is also nice though, but I really would want to see a medieval short sword.. size of the gladius but with a wider guard.. kind of a short version of this sword with a single guard.

Offline Baron Marshall

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 00:42:15 »
The sword with the curved guard has trouble being held sometimes by figures wearing arm accessories, particularly some of the arm armour pieces, so I prefer the updated version myself :)
Someday, I will organize my stuff, I promise.

Offline Erik

• Playmobil crusader / Toyhunter
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 12:19:25 »
The sword with the curved guard has trouble being held sometimes by figures wearing arm accessories, particularly some of the arm armour pieces, so I prefer the updated version myself :)

Same here!!!
The most valiant knights are made of German plastic!!!

Offline cowabounga

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 15:05:09 »
Life in the so called space age...

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 16:41:47 »
When those swords came out (the ones with the curved back toward the hand guards) I liked the shape and style but they really were hard to position in the hands and would literally pop out of the figures hands if you turned the wrist and it encountered armour.

I think it was in a blister pack that I got one of the new ones without that annoying curved back piece and I initially thought it was a mis-mould.  However, I was pretty darn happy to see they finally changed the mould to something that was well worth using, finally.

I just wish they would have figured out the mistake from day 1 ...

It is interesting (and impressive - because it shows the company is obviously trying to improve itself and make the toys better) to see how they improved the pony tail - I am sure I have more than one of those first type ones that is missing the tail because it broke off ....

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 18:43:41 »
Swords with curved handguards are still the weapon of choice for Frederick, Henry and Roderick.  :)