Author Topic: 5058 Train On Special Offer  (Read 2997 times)

Offline Walts-Trains

• Playmo Lover
    • Walts Playm0bil Collection
5058 Train On Special Offer
« on: October 04, 2013, 10:45:33 »
Playmobil train set 5058 on offer from Playmobil for £82.50 from the 4th to 7th October 2013.
http://www.playmobil.co.uk/on/demandware.store/Sites-GB-Site/en_GB/Product-Show?pid=5258

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
Re: 5058 Train On Special Offer
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 11:14:18 »
Thanks for the heads up, Walt.  I saw this set on the TRU site here in the US at 15% off until Saturday.  I am so tempted and thought it would be a great introduction to the world of PM trains but I know myself and worry about adding yet another theme to my ever increasing collection.   :-[  Any thoughts?

Joe
"One cat just leads to another."
 - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 15:16:53 »
The train themes are expensive, and take up a lot of space. You also have to decide whether you will stick to the RC ones and plastic track, or go back in time to the brass track and direct power trains which are even more expensive. The theme only really fits with Victorian through modern era, and the current set modern only. So of course you should get it. It's active and fun, and is a great way to tie together public displays should you ever want to do one of those.

Are you really expecting any different answer from people here?  :lol:

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 16:57:37 »
Thanks for the heads up, Walt.  I saw this set on the TRU site here in the US at 15% off until Saturday.  I am so tempted and thought it would be a great introduction to the world of PM trains but I know myself and worry about adding yet another theme to my ever increasing collection.   :-[  Any thoughts?

Joe

The trains are excellent.

These rc trains are probably better for little children to play with.  The LGB type brass rail ones are more for the hobbyist, I would argue.

I am not sure how well the plastic tracks would last outdoors for extended periods of time in a garden railway (I've wondered about this myself, because I would like to set something up that's more permanent BUT I am very afraid the UV rays (especially where I live on the prairies with a VERY high clear sky rate which fades automotive paint and anything else that sits outside. 

In the USA I think you would find a LOT of track (both brass/nickel and plastic) options on ebay that would be a LOT cheaper than buying new.  Well, the plastic ones, anyway.  There are a lot of train hobby shops that could probably get metal tracks for quite a good rate. 

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 18:32:41 »
currently brass goes for $4/foot used and you will never have enough track, switches etc.............

Wesley, this is the same reason I have not built an out door playmobil land. I have very nice plans to set up a western layout and a modern one both with ponds for the upcoming RC boats but the ^&*%ing sun  >:( Before I commit to building I am going to erect either a shade cloth structure or one of those large white party tents. I am leaning towards the tent as we can still play all winter in the rain.

Tim, I like your conclusion after all your statements. "So of course you should get it." I agree

I personally never liked the RC trains. I like to have many trains going at once and for long periods of time. The RC ones only last a few hours and the signals get crossed if you have many trains going.

Joe if you regret buying the train, which I do not think would happen, I am sure you could find a new home for it with out loosing much money. I just saw a new one on auction for $115 delivered. 
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 18:41:49 »
currently brass goes for $4/foot used and you will never have enough track, switches etc.............

That's cheaper than Playmobil's price of $12 for two sections of track.  I think $6 a foot for a chunk of plastic is pretty insane!  (maybe the train is on sale because sales are very low = related to very high cost of track)

Wesley, this is the same reason I have not built an out door playmobil land. I have very nice plans to set up a western layout and a modern one both with ponds for the upcoming RC boats but the ^&*%ing sun  >:( Before I commit to building I am going to erect either a shade cloth structure or one of those large white party tents. I am leaning towards the tent as we can still play all winter in the rain.

I've been wondering if there is some type of fairly permanent anti-UV coating that could be put on the plastic (yes, paint would work but it would fade - mind you, it would not have to stay in any original form because it would represent the wooden ties which are wood impregnated with oil - so brown with black.

You could easily (sort of - just time consuming) slide the brass rails out and then paint the ties then reinsert the rails. 

I've not perused garden railway sites but they must have discussed this many many times and have come up with some type of solution!

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 18:53:24 »
I am more concerned with all the playmobil building and accessories than the track. The LGB rails just get dirty fast but the plastic ties tend to be buried in gravel. they do not get handled often so they hold up quite well. I just bought some from a fella that had them out for at least 10 years and they look fine.

Most new rail lines now use the engineered concrete ties
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 19:11:23 »
Thanks for all the input.  I would probably have to put it up inside and you all know how difficult it is for me to tear anything apart once built (still have the boarding house in one piece.)  :hmm:  Although this is difficult, I am going to refrain from buying it.   :-[

Joe   
"One cat just leads to another."
 - Ernest Hemingway

Offline zugpferdchen

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 22:16:52 »
I do not know, how it is in other countries...
But if you wait here in Germany, the prices for Playmobil are much better some days before Christmas (until 50 € for Train Set 5258).

Offline Walts-Trains

• Playmo Lover
    • Walts Playm0bil Collection
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 11:22:15 »
Playmobil have a special weekend offer on for the 12 weekends to Christmas.
It started on the 27th of September. There will be one of there big sets on offer each weekend till Christmas. It just happened that the train was available this weekend and I thought some of the members of the site might be interested.

So if you or your children are into Playmobil keep a look out each weekend on the U.K. web site.