Author Topic: Arabians customs.  (Read 3040 times)

Offline mike1003

• Playmo Master
Re: Arabians customs.
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2012, 18:11:15 »
please dont take me wrong or other people..

they are a bit too white for arabs! the color schemes are great.. but skin ton is a no go

Offline DrDalek6

• Playmo Master
    • BTCV Mini Carbon Army
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 19:36:22 »
Your customs all look very nice, and realistic it's very hard to choose favourites but, I quite like the ones that look like they're meant to be guards/soliders, the womens costumes look very beautiful as well  :)

Offline Georgeag1972

• Playmo Master
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 09:23:02 »
Thank you very much for the feedback guys.

they are a bit too white for arabs! the color schemes are great.. but skin ton is a no go

You have right about that, but playmobil has done this too.
Just take a look in that set. And there are more. ;)

http://collectobil.com/catalogue/items/3415.htm

Friendly George. :)
  Your passion, is inspiration for us!!!!

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 09:25:02 »
In the ancient times, all klickys were white ;)

Indians too! Hades, my big big Chief is BLONDE!

Offline Georgeag1972

• Playmo Master
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 10:37:18 »
You are right too, tahra.
Ok this is not ancient. ;)

http://playmodb.org/setpics/4884.jpg

Anyway I didn't want to change too much my figures, I changed almost all my Romans and Egyptians klickies to do that and now I must fix them again. A lot of work for that. :lol:  :lol:

Friendly George. :hatoff:

Offline mike1003

• Playmo Master
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 11:37:59 »
hi, yeah i like the colors of the  cloth etc.. what i meant is something like this..

Offline Georgeag1972

• Playmo Master
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2012, 16:28:39 »
Yeah!! Great customs, many thanks for the picture.
I understood what you said, maybe next time, I will do that. :)

George.

Offline Kenny

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 08:45:04 »

This is generally true, but in the Near East many skin tones can be seen; you can find Arabs that look like Caucasians and Arabs that look like Africans.  Remember that the Near East was a crossroad for ancient cultures so there was lots of intermixing among the variety of people groups there.

Even today in places like Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, Turkey, and so on one can find light- and dark-skinned Arabs and Turks.  And don't forget about the ethnic minorities in these countries - in Egypt for instance the Copts often look Caucasian and the Upper Egyptians often look African. 

I love all of your customs.  I would suggest creating a few with African skin color for more accurate ethnic variety.

Since Christmas is coming up you could put them all in a Bethlehem scene for your dining table (plus a few Roman soldiers).

-- Kenny

Offline Georgeag1972

• Playmo Master
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2012, 18:28:45 »
Thank you Kenny.
Finally I think that the title to my thread was wrong.
Maybe East customs, was a better title. :lol:
About your idea for Christmas, I have something in my mind and I will see what I can do.
We have still time for that. ;)

Greetings George. :wave:

Offline Kenny

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2012, 21:02:32 »
I lived in Egypt for six years and you'd be surprised at the beautifully rich variety of skin tones there.  People having everything from cream, to coffee, to dark chocolate colored skin.

But I forgot to mention one thing....

You'd also be surprised how many Asians are in the Near East.  Since Indonesia is the largest Muslim country, I would see Asian immigrants or visitors nearly every day in Cairo. 

Would it have been different in the past?  I don't know for sure, but since the Near East was a trade crossroads in the past I don't think it would be heretical (and I wouldn't object) to see a few Asian clickies in your Near East customs.

Having said all that, if I were making Near East customs, I'd try to make a good number of them with the brown skin tone, with a minority being African and Caucasian, plus an Asian or two to fill out the lot.

I think you've done a fantastic job of capturing the exotic "orientalist" look we associate with the Near East in the past.  Mike1003's black robed customs are also great if you want to show lower class Muslims or 19th century-early 20th century Muslim women who would dress that way when going about in public.