Author Topic: Late Roman legionary. (250-378 AD)  (Read 4201 times)

Offline PlaymoMan

• Playmo Master
Late Roman legionary. (250-378 AD)
« on: August 06, 2012, 22:39:29 »
I'm definitely not a hardcore customizer like some of the other forum members, but this morning I had some fun making a late Roman legionary. Just a warning, don't expect any big changes - it's a minor custom! ;)

By the late third century AD, the Roman army was beginning to change. Many Roman soldiers were being recruited from Germanic tribes outside the empire. Replacing the familiar plate armour of the first and second century AD was scale and chainmail armour which was easy to produce and maintain. The Imperial Gallic and Imperial Italic type helmets were soon abandoned in favour of the Intersica type helmet which was of poorer quality. Soon, the javelin was replaced with the hasta, a long stabbing spear and the gladius (used for stabbing) was replaced by the spatha, a long sword more suitable for slashing. Also, the large, rectangular, scutum was replaced by a flat oval shield. Trousers, which were better to wear in the harsh winters of the northern provinces, replaced the tunic, whose hem reached the knee of a soldier. Finally, soldiers began to adopt boots, instead of the open toed caligae.

Here's some pics!

During battle:

After battle: ;D

I hope you don't mind all the detail, I just wanted to put some historical context around this custom. :)
PlaymoMan :wave:

Btw, I intend to replace the bronze coloured helmet with a silver coloured helmet of the same type, but feel free to give any feedback!
Life's essentials: food, water, shelter and at least one klicky.

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
Re: Late Roman legionary. (250-378 AD)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 03:56:31 »
Cool. :) Is that helmet from the Bronze Knights, or did you paint it yourself?
~Pynedor~

Offline cowabounga

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 04:30:44 »
Nice custom and pics. A little historical background is always welcome for this kind of figure.  :)
Life in the so called space age...

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 07:07:38 »
Very good representation of the real thing, and very close to the historical accuracy of it!!! Well done!!!

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 07:40:10 »
:love:

And thanks for the background too - I think it helps everyone understand the custom better.

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 08:24:46 »
...being recruited from Germanic tribes outside the empire. Replacing the familiar plate armour of the first and second century AD was scale and chainmail armour which was easy to produce and maintain. The Imperial Gallic and Imperial Italic type helmets were soon abandoned in favour of the Intersica type helmet which was of poorer quality. Soon, the javelin was replaced with the hasta, a long stabbing spear and the gladius (used for stabbing) was replaced by the spatha, a long sword more suitable for slashing. Also, the large, rectangular, scutum was replaced by a flat oval shield. Trousers, which were better to wear in the harsh winters of the northern provinces, replaced the tunic, whose hem reached the knee of a soldier. Finally, soldiers began to adopt boots, instead of the open toed caligae.

thanks for so much.....now it makes more sense when I look at my older Romans...now I know they were 'historically correct' :)

Offline conniefrere

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 08:37:28 »
 :clap: :clap:

What a nice custom. I like him a lot and even the helm looks good. Let's call him Gummatius. (I saw a tombstone of a germanic warrior who served the roman legion yesterday and his name was Gummatius  :) )
:playmo: :egypt: :roman: :builder: :playmo:

Offline Georgeag1972

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 09:33:44 »
Very nice custom, simple but beautiful, well done.

Friendly George.
  Your passion, is inspiration for us!!!!

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 16:31:24 »
Nice custom & accurate explanation!

Replacing the familiar plate armour of the first and second century AD was scale and chainmail armour which was easy to produce and maintain.

Then I'd use another type of Roman torso, like from this guy:
http://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/showpart.pl?partnum=30-00-2692;pic_num=2

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline DrDalek6

• Playmo Master
    • BTCV Mini Carbon Army
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 20:00:46 »
 Very nice love the photos of him in battle looks like a very happy Roman  :) ;), the historical background is interesting as well. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Romans not helped by the fact that I've got 3 soft Enlgish Heritage figures a Squire, Monk and a Roman who were picked up some years ago, did some research and found out there's also a Princess not sure whether that was all the characters.