Author Topic: New Mexican Set  (Read 4196 times)

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
Re: New Mexican Set
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 17:00:05 »
My sister-in-law who is from Mexico City says that no one there wants to travel to the border towns now because the violence is so bad. She says that's why immigration is so far down, the border towns are too unsafe to pass through.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 17:26:35 »
i will put up a picture of what they forgot in that set as soon as we unpack from our recent trip.

Funny set, thanks for sharing  :lol:
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Markassius

• Future Knight
  • Playmo Enthusiast
  • Knights and Future, what a combo
    • My collection
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 17:39:06 »
Are there any Mexican-themed playmobil sets btw?  ....   The grab bag figures has a Zorro in it.  ...

There is a Mexican in the grab bag series 2. With sombrero and guitar.
It's OK to panic, as long as you follow the correct procedure

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 00:02:22 »
Sad what's become of Mexico, an extreme example of the challenges presented to post-colonial countries trying to make it on their own.  Tainted by corruption especially within government, becomes a society desperate to do anything to survive.  People are quick to frown on Mexico, but many do not acknowledge how it came to be.

Mexico, taken by Spain, fought over with America, then most of the desireable parts incorporated into America, leaving the Mexican indigenous peoples at the hands of many corrupt Mexican Nationals (Spanish transplants) still in power, created a class system with a desparity gap so huge between rich/powerful and the poor and uneducated.  Christianizing and renaming the indigenous people, effectively destroying most of their native ways.  Mexico in essence is a giant "reservation" similar to the reservations now left for native americans in USA (left over parts that colonial government didn't really want anyway).  Everyone chastises Mexicans for not learning English if they want to try to make it in America.  But isn't it bad enough that most Mexicans have lost their native tongues to an original foreign power's push to "civilize" them and make them all speak Spanish?  Lost their original names now replaced by the Spanish surnames of the governing Dons of their region.  Lost a lot of their culture, their land, and way of living.  As if that wasn't enough for Mexico to integrate, now they must learn English as well?

On an individual level everyone has the power to lead by right or wrong.  I'm not condoning crime with the excuse of hardships faced as a nation suffering from post-colonial damage.  But on the bigger picture as a whole, you can see how desperate people have become, and possible reasons from the past that span generation after generation which clue us in to understanding reasons why.  Perhaps understanding it, though, is not enough to solve it, especially since the problems are so overwhelming and huge; it'd be a daunting task to say the least.  But it's always important to not necessarily endorse something or judge it, but take it in with a bit of perspective on the whole.

My mom lives just short of the border.  I usually go down into Juarez every year or so.  The Rio Grande is a dreadful mess, and you can see tin and cardboard barrios lining the horizon.  Garbage is everywhere in the river, which is not so "grande".  And that's all just AT the border.  Once you cross over into Juarez.... Some places I even literally hold my breath, and I keep my valuables clutched tightly on my person, and keep my family close.  Yes, sadly, it IS that bad in some places. 

Just sad to see.  Mexico wasn't always like this.  After conquest was achieved by toppling the indigenous people's nation at the hands of Spanish conquistadors like Cortez, Corruption began at the government level with Spanish, and later those Spanish who remained as Mexican Nationals.  Of course much of the population is now mixed.  But Remember, the indigenous peoples are the descendants of the once great Aztec Empire.  There was a time when Mexico would have been known more for their development of science, architecture, agriculture, art, and technology that was ahead of their time.  The roots of the Mexican people are still there.  Despite the sad state of affairs the nation may be in at present, we should still show a great respect for it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 00:13:20 by BlackPearl2006 »
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 00:48:55 »
Sad what's become of Mexico,

Mexico wasn't always like this.  After conquest was achieved by toppling the indigenous people's nation at the hands of Spanish conquistadors like Cortez, Corruption began at the government level with Spanish, and later those Spanish who remained as Mexican Nationals.  Of course much of the population is now mixed.  But Remember, the indigenous peoples are the descendants of the once great Aztec Empire.  There was a time when Mexico would have been known more for their development of science, architecture, agriculture, art, and technology that was ahead of their time.  The roots of the Mexican people are still there.  Despite the sad state of affairs the nation may be in at present, we should still show a great respect for it.

This is the history of mexico that I was not taught but I am teaching my own children.

I have a feeling someday Mexico will be swallowed up by the Union
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 01:44:16 »
Yeah, my brother had to stay in Juarez for a week when he and his wife were applying for a fiance visa for her. Not a good place to be these days.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 07:53:57 »
It is quite a shame that the many native cultures of America have been destroyed by human greed. No one is alive anymore who can be held responsible for it though, but today's generations can work to improve the situation.

Offline FitzChevalric_Ziener

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 16:36:14 »
It is quite a shame that the many native cultures of America have been destroyed by human greed. No one is alive anymore who can be held responsible for it though, but today's generations can work to improve the situation.

Most of those cultures are distroyed by Measles, brought overseas by the portugeze

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 02:05:06 »
Nice set, lol  :lol:

Most of those cultures are distroyed by Measles, brought overseas by the portugeze

Indeed, the natives had no biological resistance as this disease was unknown to them before Europeans set foot on the American continent.
So I hope the Aliens don't visit us.

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 02:27:13 »

So I hope the Aliens don't visit us.

our own astronauts have discovered over 140 new, I guess they would be called life forms or bacteria or ?? that have the ability to live outside in space and they eat metal and glass. The Mir 1 space station that is abandoned is full of new life forms, those people are bringing them back every trip so no need for aliens   :hmm: