Author Topic: Playmobil merchants in Egypt?  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Kenny

• Playmo Enthusiast
Playmobil merchants in Egypt?
« on: January 17, 2012, 10:08:54 »
We're currently in Egypt, and I can't find any stores that sell Playmobil!  I'm going through withdrawal!  :hissyfit:

(Lots of Lego, however.... >:()

Do any of our members live in Cairo (or have visited Cairo) and can direct me to a merchant that sells Playmobil??

-- Kenny

Offline mike1003

• Playmo Master
Re: Playmobil merchants in Egypt?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 10:25:42 »
hi, difficult to get playmobil in egypt as lego is more common. easier to get!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 10:37:23 »
In recent years I know Playmobil have been looking at going into the North African market, but I don't think it's got far as yet.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 16:20:10 »
You'd think they would at least release the egyptian theme there, could be really popular with the pyramids and all that.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 16:49:58 »
You'd think they would at least release the egyptian theme there, could be really popular with the pyramids and all that.

To release any theme anywhere, Playmobil need at least to be fairly sure that there is a market for their product, a network of shops to sell to the public, warehousing facilities and access to advertising media.  In addition, recent events in Egypt need to be taken into account.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Luis

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 21:49:57 »
Tenni, why would you feel you need to buy PM in Egypt if you can find that at home? Enjoy the trip instead. :D
Enjoy the elegance and fun of 1900 with The Victorians photo story! :gent: ;D :sherlock:

Offline PlaymoMan

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 21:53:03 »
Never been to the North African region, so can't help you there. I do know that Playmobil has definitely been broadening their reach in terms of the number of stores that sell klickies, though. So, they may not sell Playmo down there quite yet, but it's only a matter of time! ;)
Life's essentials: food, water, shelter and at least one klicky.

Offline Kenny

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 18:08:36 »
Tenni, why would you feel you need to buy PM in Egypt if you can find that at home? Enjoy the trip instead. :D

Good question.  I've always thought it odd when tourists choose to do shopping or eating at places they could go when they're back home... instead of seeing the unique sights of the vacation spot!

In our case, we're in Egypt for a year while my wife does research.  So I thought I'd search for some stores that carry Playmobil.  (A little "research" of my own.... ;))

-- Kenny

Offline Luis

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 18:11:33 »
oh wow a year! that totally changes the story then - have you asked any clerk at department stores or toy shops if they've ever carried PM? maybe they know better :)
Enjoy the elegance and fun of 1900 with The Victorians photo story! :gent: ;D :sherlock:

Offline Kenny

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 18:16:57 »
I've been asking around.  Evidently there was a toy store in a suburb that only sold Playmobil, but it went out of business a year or two ago.

My secret fantasy is to find an out-of-the-way, dusty old toystore in a shabby part of town that has a lot of old stock on hand.  Since Playmobil (like Lego) is an expensive toy for local folks to purchase, I would imagine that the stock moves verrrrrrry slowwwwwly.

-- Kenny