Author Topic: USA 2012 Pirate Sets at TRU  (Read 3644 times)

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
Re: USA 2012 Pirate Sets at TRU
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 23:56:52 »
Next time I'm down that way, I'll have to do a little shopping.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline kaethe

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 00:08:07 »
Not fair at all.  Hope your shop had a good holiday season.
kaeth

Offline Jay

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 05:15:56 »
Went to TRU to see what they had on clearance. Other than some Egyptian sets, which were discounted some more today, there was nothing on sale.  BTW, I was stunned to see the surprise packages are up to $3.99 now. I can't see paying that much for something I may not be interested in. Think I'll give that a big 'skip it.'
I did see some new pirate sets, which seemed reasonably priced. But I can understand about no one carrying PMB anymore. I can only think of one toy store here that carries the line, though there are a few teacher stores and hobby stores (What's that big chain? Can't think of the name) but, as someone mentioned, their prices are very high compared to TRU.  There are very very few Targets who carry the line now. Of the 30 or 40 stores in the area, I think at the most 2 carry them.
If you recall, a few years back TRU didn't carry much, and other stores, like K-Mart and WalMart did.  I can see where they want to get the line out, but generally i think as far as the US they are really on the edge, compared to the "L" company.  Honestly, after going into a Lego store the other day, I can see what the excitement is all about.
Maybe I'm just thinking more of the old castles and sets, but I don't see the interesting things anymore. But, I'm just one buyer, and not as big at getting things as I was ten years ago.

Offline cardensb

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Custom Blackbeard
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 14:46:36 »
August 2012 is so far away though.  Hope that means we are getting the Stone Age sets in the US first! (Still looking for the mystery cave woman)
Shawn
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 20:58:47 »

There are very very few Targets who carry the line now. Of the 30 or 40 stores in the area, I think at the most 2 carry them.
If you recall, a few years back TRU didn't carry much, and other stores, like K-Mart and WalMart did.  I can see where they want to get the line out, but generally i think as far as the US they are really on the edge, compared to the "L" company.

Target's corp. had only a small shelf spot dedicated to playmobil. With the purchasing power that they had they were able to really get the US exclusives off and running. It was around the same time that the blisters were introduced and it has been speculated that they were created for the US type of consumer. A year or so latter TRU started in on the brand and it seemed to not only hold its own but was able to dominate a 1/2 isle in most stores today. They seem to be able to move enough product that Geobara even created manufacturing facilities in China to again appease the US consumers odd demands. Geobra has long been challenged getting this brand off in the market. There seems to be sort of love affair with Hollywood/TV and since Lego lost its patents on the brick a way to survive was to sell out and license everything, and it works beautifully. Lego has been able to secure a spot in history with its cult followers. Playmobil toys are simple, innocent and wholesome fun. Lego.... well...it sells sin.   

Honestly, after going into a Lego store the other day, I can see what the excitement is all about.
Maybe I'm just thinking more of the old castles and sets, but I don't see the interesting things anymore. But, I'm just one buyer, and not as big at getting things as I was ten years ago.

If you watch hours of TV and go regularly to Hollywood movies the Lego toys are just going to be familiar. How many kids are familiar with real farmers, race car drivers, doctors, teachers, truck drivers, knights with chivalry, the themes playmobil sells? That material is not being inputed into the kids reality. Even the western theme is being transformed by hollywood into walking, talking, gunslinging lizards ? ? how do you sell a saloon and bank with a human looking toy with the kid only thinking about that or a tall blue freak or animated red race cars?
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline PlaymoMan

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 00:32:40 »
Business is cruel, and that's why every now and then I feel glad when I  see an independently owned toy store. On a trip to NYC once, we found a toy store near where we were staying, and that's where I found a boxed 3151. I came back to the hotel with a bag full of discontinued sets. :love:
Anyways, back on topic, I'm quite excited to see the new pirates. Unfortunately, we have to travel out of town to get to the nearest TRU - we don't have a big TRU, only one of the TRU express stores or whatever they're called. That store carries quite a limited stock of Playmo - only 3-4 sets. :(
Life's essentials: food, water, shelter and at least one klicky.

Offline gloobey

• Playmo Fanatic
    • My Illustration Website
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 00:23:09 »
I've been in business for 14 months now and have carried a large selection of Playmobil from the beginning. I think it's one of the best toys available and will carry iy as long as I can. My shop is 45 miles from the nearest big  box center and is in a destination town so I'm in a good location  to sell PM. My customers appreciate the fact that they can see and buy new PM without driving or waiting for freight.

The new January sets include the Stone Age theme as well as collectable horses and motorcycles. Lots of 123 stuff too. I'll know more about release dates after Toy Fair in New York (Feb. 12-15). I placed my Jan. order last week so I'll hopefully have the new sets in before I leave for New York.

It's a struggle to run a small toy shop, but it's not impossible. Customer service and high quality, unique toys are what is most important. I'll be getting the pirates in as soon as I can. TRU is a big monster that just sells, sells, sells with little concern for product line integrity or quality. Customers see that if they look hard enough.
What's the point of going, if you can't get there on a train?

Offline Coyote

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 09:56:15 »
Here in Maine, Playmobil has been carried by a local discount chain Reny's- while a bit too quirky to be considered a Big Box, they are able to purchase in bigger orders than an independent.  However, their prices are significantly lower than even the website...   :)
  Peoples Republic of Maine  :D

Offline Luis

• Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 01:55:49 »
not just out of curiosity - i urgently need a new pirate ship for a photo shoot :-[

could somebody tell me it is at TRU? (5135)

it's at $139 on ebay, but need to get one at a more reasonable price - PM USA has it listed for $79.99, but won't be available until August...
Enjoy the elegance and fun of 1900 with The Victorians photo story! :gent: ;D :sherlock:

Offline Baron Marshall

• Playmo Master
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 02:35:36 »
my TRU has had it since October... and it is on the TRU wedsite as in stock for $79.99
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12113411
Someday, I will organize my stuff, I promise.