Author Topic: New firemen need training...  (Read 5012 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: New firemen need training...
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 07:49:16 »
Thank you for these step by step instructions Gordon!

Gld to help, Panos.  :wave:

Yeap I have two 4825 hydrant sets that cen be used wih the drill. I suppose there is a way to connect the pump to the water point on the pavement right?

Good, I've already drafted out some drills which I'll post this evening for you.  The pump can be connected to the hydrant, but unfortunately only by connecting it to one of the outlet points, but it's good enough as it means you can pulp water.

I am not sure what kind of ladder you can use with 4820, it has already a ladder, did you mean 4821 as this is the turnable ladder, Gordon?

Sorry, Panos, woth working quickly I've not always used the right ste number in my post.  I'll edit it after this post to make it correct.  I've never got used to the fact that originally 4820 was to be the pump and 4821 the turntable ladder, but when they came out the set numbers had been interchanged.  It's possible to use the triple grey ladder with the 4821 - it's this one here in set 3881:

http://www.playmodb.org/cgi-bin/showinv.pl?setnum=3881

to fit it does mean removing the water monitor, but that gives you a reason to have two 4821s - one with the water monitor fitted and one with the ladder!  You can see it fitted here:

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=4867.0

Thank you for these instruction! Knowing your schedule I very much appreciate your help!

It's a pleasure.

Hope this helps.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 07:54:00 »
I've corrected my original post, Panos.  The corrections are in Maroon.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 09:12:22 »
Saddly I dont have that ladder Gordon... But I'll look for it, there are some places in town that still have some old sets... other wise, ebay will do. and I love your rationalisation for having two 4821  :lol:

No worries about the typos I had a feeling you meant it the other way round.  :)

Looking forward to your drafted drills!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 20:34:11 »
Saddly I dont have that ladder Gordon... But I'll look for it, there are some places in town that still have some old sets... other wise, ebay will do. and I love your rationalisation for having two 4821  :lol:

Send me your address as I have some spares.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2011, 20:08:04 »
Hi Panos, here's a hose drill using the 4821 fire engine and the 4825 hydrant set.  I'm assuming that you have a crew of eight, a driver (who is also the pump operator and usually, too, looks after communications with control), an officer-in-charge (he sits next to the driver) and six firefighters.  (Six is good because it allows you to have two BA (breathing apparatus) crews of two each and still have two crew spare for for other duties.  I always have the driver wearing a green over-jacket:

http://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/showpart.pl?partnum=30-22-5560

the officer in a yellow one:

http://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/showpart.pl?partnum=30-23-2990

and crew members operating around the fire engine, especially at a RTC (road traffic collision) in an orange one:

http://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/showpart.pl?partnum=30-21-8000

It's not possible to have a firefighter wearing an over-jacket and BA gear.

Here's drill 1:

1.   Two crew take the standpipe and hydrant key and hurry to the hydrant. 

2.  At the same time, two crew unhitch the hose reel from the rear of the fire engine and start running  towards the hydrant plate, having handed the loose end of the hose to the driver/pump operator at the rear of the fire engine.

3.  The hydrant crew, open up the hydrant, insert the standpipe and when the crew with the hose reel reach them, one of the hydrant crew connects the end of the hose to one side of the standpipe while the other inserts the hydrant key and prepares to turn the water on.

4.  By now, the driver has connected the other end of the hose to the inlet point in the centre of the pump. 

5.  Another crew member has, meanwhile, unrolled the hose reel hose and connected it to one of the pump outlets and is now ready to use the hose.  (You can have two crew holding the hose, one holding the nozzle [strictly speaking, it's called the branch] and the other the hose just behind the first one.)  At this point the driver signals to the hydrant crew to turn the water on.

6.  The crew member holding the branch signals by raising his arm that they are ready and the driver then starts the pump.

Using the water pump provided with the 4825 set, you can connect this to the other side of the hydrant and pump water through the hydrant to the pump on the fire engine and through the hose held by the firemen.

Hope this makes sense as it was done in a rush.

Tomorrow, I'll try and do a drill for pumping water from a pond or stream.

(I hope you've got spare lengths of hose, btw.)

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 20:25:50 by playmofire »

Offline baden-wurttemberg

• Firefighter Enthusiast
  • Playmo Master
    • http://stores.ebay.com/Baden-Wurttemberg
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 02:36:20 »
Wow thank you Panos! Thanks to you, I'm learning a couple of things I didn't know also.

Thanks Panos and Gordon.

Baden  :wave:
Take every chance you get in life, because some things only happen once.

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 05:39:35 »
Thank you Gordon!! This is excellent!! I'll work on its as soon as I can!!! I do have some more hose length from the classic fire truck!

Your instructions are very clear! If I come across difficulties I'll ask you again. Unfortunately, I have no overjackets... maybe one or two..

Looking forward to the tream/pond pumping !!!