Author Topic: My Roman Signifier/musician  (Read 4064 times)

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
Re: My Roman Signifier/musician
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 04:17:39 »
Nice customs, Tim!  I anxiously look forward to your line of Norse deities.

I abandoned authenticity in favor of ease and used the standard lion-headdress klicky for my my legionary century signifiers and cornicens, even though historically this would have only been appropriate for Praetorian century signifiers and cornicens.  I also used the same horn you used.  I used the grey wolf's head, albeit on the chainmail headpiece instead of on top of the helmet, for my auxiliary signifiers and cornicens.  It provides a nice contrast.
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
Re: My Roman Signifier/musician
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 13:31:34 »
Well, not even the "old" Greek Gods and Godesses weren't without melting. Apollo has usurped the functions of Helios in later. Artemis did the same with some other Godesses. The Romans just adapted their own pantheon to resemble others. It is a way to control subject nations.

Interestingly, there are a number of similarities between that and a number of "Christian" customs ...

Bogro

And the fact "Easter" in English is called after an ancient goddess!

Another detail: Jews and Muslems don't recognize the concept of a trinity in their practice.  We "Indo-Europeans" with our taste for threes couldn't live without it and owe a lot to those Levantine Greeks who swelled the ranks of the early church before it spread from the middle east.

-Tim