Author Topic: Shameless ripoff of a fellow collector's custom  (Read 3272 times)

Offline hauden_lukas

• Playmo Addict
Re: Shameless ripoff of a fellow collector's custom
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 10:49:29 »
Is the magazine put out by Playmobil? If so I don't really see a problem as it would get tedious acknowledging every person they copied customs from since their policy has always been, we see it, we like it, we make it. My mom still has copies of original set designs that I sent the hq as a child (detailed full contents stuff) that match the finished product exactly (might have to see if I can get them next time I make the 8 hr drive). Though in those days we did get a nice thank you letter and free keychain shipped from Deitenhoffen.  However, if the magazine is third party, then there is a reason to be upset with the person who didn't tell the magazine where they found this troubadour... which I am also going to copy  :)

Why would there be a difference if Geobra copied it versus a third party? Just because they often copy customs and it would be tedious to acknowledge as you say? A copy is a copy and in the current case it is obvious.

On another note: I would really like to see your designs!

PS: I need to check the date but I created a priest with that hat and upper torso I guess even before playclick. He probably didn't see it but it is an example that a custom might be an inspiration that has been developed by copying the work of many others.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 10:58:00 »
We also made a knight from the mermaid... and sometime later saw that someone had already done a VERY similar one (let's face it, she was BEGGING for it). However, it was not the exact same one....

This is a total rip off.

Like you said - you made a PRIEST. Not the same. As I said before, the torso and the hat go well together. The rest, to be the exact same.... wel...

Offline Baron Marshall

• Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 11:24:11 »
if a fan shares what they did to the original company or put  it out publicly, then one could argue  implied permission for the original company to use the work as the point is "see what I did with your product" or "I love your product, make stuff like this" but a third party has no implied permission for fair use.
Someday, I will organize my stuff, I promise.

Offline Rosebud

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 05:30:55 »
Since I'm not here too often I don't know if this has been said but there's a little update on this situation confirmed by Pirateclick himself. He contacted the publisher of the magazine (Planeta Dagostini) and he received an apology and the promise that the numbers of the magazine that they have already printed he will receive for free, I think that's four magazines, but not sure. If the series takes hold and more numbers are published later they will mention him in the credits.
He says he's happy with how everything turned out.  :)   Of course, now everyone is hoping Planeta will pick one of their customs without permission. :lol:

Offline Georgeag1972

• Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 10:58:29 »
I think playmobil says. All the parts you are using belong to us, so we can do anything we want with your creations. Although it doesn't sounds good for us, it is true. Legally there is not something wrong, but I think in pirateclick's case, like tahra said, the magazine could ask him about. Finally the magazine gave a fair solution for pirateclick and I believe everybody is happy. I would be proud if that was happened to me!

George.
  Your passion, is inspiration for us!!!!

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 15:18:56 »
I'm glad it was solved amicably.  :easterhop:

As for Geobra copying customs, I believe from a legal standpoint, any customs made with or based on their original components would be considered derivative works, so they still retain the copyrights. However, it goes a long way towards public relations to give credit to these PM enthusiasts.