Author Topic: Minor disaster  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Jay

• Playmo Addict
Minor disaster
« on: September 12, 2011, 03:30:03 »
So,...... I went down to the basement today to look in some of the big plastic storage bins for what I don't even rmember now. I opened one of these 30gallon plastic boxes with Western sets and noticed something wrong. For one, it had a weird smell, and there was some sort of crumbly stuff on the side of boxes.   :omg: To back up, a few months back we had a small flood which soaked some boxes, and knocked over a lot of boxes. Dollar wise it wasn't too bad, and mostly what was thrown away were boxes for sets. If you collect things you know the original boxes are sometimes worth as much as the item inside.  Anyhow, I thought this box was safe.  So, I start taking things out and find soggy boxes and grime over everything. HOWEVER..... the weirdest thing, and the most unsetting is that the becautiful in the box Western School/Church is almost totally  discolored.   :eh?:  The beautiful blue coloring is gone from everything except the two floor pieces.  Of all the pieces in the box, buildings, gold mine, and dozens of figures this seem to be the only thing that was damaged. I have everything soaking now but I don't see any way that this will get the color back, UNLESS....someone here has an idea.  ??? :help: Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
Re: Minor disaster
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 03:36:27 »
If the colour is gone (and I don't understand how as the plastic itself is colored, not just the surface) the only thing I can think of is to colour match paint to the original colour and spray/airbrush it all. Then put a clear (matte) on to protect from handling.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 03:37:56 »
blue pigment in your soak  ;D
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 03:44:05 »
That's terrible! Quite strange it losing its color. ???
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 06:51:28 »
Sorry to hear that... I've lost a lot of boxes in a flood back in 1998... since then I dont keep them... i did keep two of the ruined boxes which I aired very good and had them sundried (good think for fesh air and summer sun) whole summer long ,but four years ago, a musty smell came our from where I put them... turns out the place was too hot for them and that gave the oportunity for old microrganisms to come alive again and have a party... so for sanitations sake, i propose you throw them away...

Offline stadswache

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 07:03:29 »
add the blue boxes to your soap.

jut kidding

what a terrible thing to happen.

i keep everything in the attic in case of a flood.

a pitty i live in the Netherlands an when a flood from the sea comes i live 15 meters below sea level????

my attic only 12 mtr high  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Its not about your choices, its about the chances you take, that makes the future.