Author Topic: RC Playmobil ships !!  (Read 21289 times)

Offline Andy R

• DPAAAGG.
  • x
  • Playmo Addict
  • I come here for peace and quiet.
    • http://www.survival101.wetpaint.com
Re: RC Playmobil ships !!
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 02:15:23 »
As far as getting her back, in either case, even with a motor, I would attach a line to her stern (up high so as not to be entangled with the propeller, if you have a motor installed) so you can pull her back if she gets too far away.  My other idea on this would be to let her sail free, but use a remote control tug to taxi her back to shore if you have to.  Or eliminate the tug altogether and install props to act in a tug's stead.
I would sail Queen Of Ranroon around Southside City Park (Sacramento, CA) with a fishing line attached to the stern to haul her back. Just sayin’.
I see no shame in adding a motor for backup purposes; even modern tallship replicas like the Lady Washington have motors for taxying and when the wind is not ideal.  I do know, however, that the Lady Washington relys on the wind majority of the time, which can carry them at times even faster than their on-board engine at full speed.
True Story:
The Lady Washington was in Sac, and I decided to take a tour. I was wearing my CGC ACACIA cover, and the guy giving us the tour looked right at me and said “We have enigines on board because the Coast Guard makes us.” (He wasn’t being disrespectful, he was just f***ing with me.)
If I’m jealous, you did SOMETHING right. Keep it up. :D
I Support Operation Anime Storm..

Offline Jimbo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 19:06:41 »
Ahoy y'all :wave:

I have made two custom  Playmobil scale sailing ships that had only one RC chanel for the rudder.
They sailed very well in the 3 acre pond at our park. 
One was a 4 foot, two masted square rigger that weighed about 32 pounds I think.
Much steel ballast in the hold.  The keel was also 1/2 inch steel bar stock.

She capsized and sunk in a mighty blow one day but was rescued with a fishing rod and bass plug. ;D   

The other one is a sampan with two masts with a junk rig.  That one sailed the best,
and I could actually "paddle" it with the oversized rudder!

The square  rigger is somewhere in the customs section, and not sure if I posted
pics of the sampan.......sold the square rigger....still have the sampan.

I probably ought to have a go with a real Playmobil ship. ;D

Sand locked sailor,
Jimbo

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 01:21:59 »
Ahoy y'all :wave:

I have made two custom  Playmobil scale sailing ships that had only one RC chanel for the rudder.
They sailed very well in the 3 acre pond at our park. 
One was a 4 foot, two masted square rigger that weighed about 32 pounds I think.
Much steel ballast in the hold.  The keel was also 1/2 inch steel bar stock.

She capsized and sunk in a mighty blow one day but was rescued with a fishing rod and bass plug. ;D   

The other one is a sampan with two masts with a junk rig.  That one sailed the best,
and I could actually "paddle" it with the oversized rudder!

The square  rigger is somewhere in the customs section, and not sure if I posted
pics of the sampan.......sold the square rigger....still have the sampan.

I probably ought to have a go with a real Playmobil ship. ;D

Sand locked sailor,
Jimbo

So they were not Playmoships, but rather in-scale to Playmobil?  I still think success in sailing a Playmoship will be found in adding keels and tackable squares unimpeded by plastic shrouds.
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline Jimbo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 14:00:40 »
So they were not Playmoships, but rather in-scale to Playmobil?  I still think success in sailing a Playmoship will be found in adding keels and tackable squares unimpeded by plastic shrouds.
Hi BlackPearl2006.

I just took a Klicky and built a ship around it...

I have done some thinking about real Playmobil ships, and agree that weight and a keel
for sure must be added to the hull.

I thought about slicing an inch or so off the bottom of a Playmo hull
and adding a 2-3 inch solid wood hull cut and shaped to the plastic
upper hull. The wooden bottom hull could be filled with ballast and a heavy keel added.

:2c:
Jimbo

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 07:11:12 »
Finally found a 3286 conversion to RC.   (not mine).  As you can see, the customizer "waboats" from rcgroups.com forums ended up sealing the gunports shut to prevent water from coming in and capsizing the ship.  Not too crazy about the placement of the prop or the moulding job (he didn't sand it smooth or make it look stock)...maybe he did that to conceal the use of the prop.  he writes:

"I have had quite a good success with the Pirate Galleon from Playmobil.

Every time it hits the water the kids are amazed and all want to have a go..

It runs on a direct drive 360-14 motor by electronize with two channel control. Not for outside on the pond but a great indoor or sheltered water novelty. Uses existing ballast bulb and has a few extra Pirate bits & bobs for effect.

I use a small Li-Po battery I got from a Heli I crashed & burned..

I have sponge around the electronics in case a small amount of water gets in. Not sealed and comes apart where the toy does. Only trade off on the hull was I glued the Gun Ports in place permanently.

Keeping it out of the wind is the trick..

Run Time is about 1 hour. "

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2011, 07:18:15 »
He also did the viking ship