Author Topic: Playmo-Pixies  (Read 1601 times)

Offline doug

• Playmo Fanatic
Playmo-Pixies
« on: March 08, 2012, 20:42:12 »
(Disclaimer 1:  Sorry for the poor photos below.  My camera and I are arguing about focusing on small objects.  So far the camera is winning.
Hopefully the images are clear enough to get the idea.

Disclaimer 2:  While Wikipedia informs me that these should properly be called "Playmo-Fairies,"  Playmobil isn't already using the term "pixies" and Playmo-Pixie has nice alliteration.)

My niece now loves Tinkerbell, so I made her a Playmo version from the cake topper bride http://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/showpart.pl?partnum=30-80-6342.  Turned out OK.  She loved it.    As I was building Tink's friends for her,  I thought it would be fun to make some non-Disney pixies.

First, here is the kid-safe Blue pixie:

I know, really crappy picture.  Just wanted to show the blunt little wings in relation to the body, and her basic colors.

Here's my fire-fairy:

Here are both,  seen smaller but hopefully clearer, with a lost boy:

So,  these are both just casts of micro-brides in clear resin, with wings made from blister bubbles, and tinted with permanent markers for a translucency.

They fill a nice niche in the Playmobil fantasy ecosystem.   Hopefully I can get better pix soon...

doug

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: Playmo-Pixies
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 20:44:16 »
They fill a nice niche in the Playmobil fantasy ecosystem.   Hopefully I can get better pix soon...

Looking forward to those clearer pics - you know magical creatures are VERY hard to get on.. well... file?  ;)

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 20:45:54 »
Well done. :lol: Those are very small, so good luck getting clearer pictures!
~Pynedor~

Offline doug

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 22:18:35 »
Drought or flood, I guess:

Got some really close-up pix, but I might prefer the blurry ones.  On my screen these are 5X life size, and show flaws that are unnoticeable in person.   

The bump on her head is supposed to be flame rising.  To me, it doesn't read well.
Any ideas on how to modify the shape?

From the pic, the wings definitely need some sanding down...   They honestly look OK in person...

I am toying with the idea of painting eyes on. However, eyes on a translucent figure will show from the back, AND the figure is really, really, really tiny, making accurate placement problematic.

Thoughts?

This Disney-inspired pixie is much more basic, with simpler (kid friendly) wings and no extra sculpting. 

These are simple, cheap casts to make.  If anyone here wants to make their own, LMK and I'll post steps in the how-to section.

doug

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 01:13:32 »
I think they look great. If you were to magnify the micro people that playmobil makes to that size, you'd see lots of flaws, too. So I'm sure in person they are perfect. Really cute! They remind me of the fairies in Sleeping Beauty.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 01:29:25 »
They look fine to me too. :) They are so small that the small amount of roughness doesn't seem to make a difference.
~Pynedor~

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 02:22:42 »
I think they look great. If you were to magnify the micro people that playmobil makes to that size, you'd see lots of flaws, too. So I'm sure in person they are perfect. Really cute! They remind me of the fairies in Sleeping Beauty.

I agree with bb too...dont let it worry you.
even our klickies when magnified has printing flaws too...I often cut/sand and as long as they look ok to me
(my glasses/contacts dont give me perfect vision and my shelves are not individually lighted :P)

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 02:36:37 »
That just reminded me of once I did a custom and asked Chris how it looked. He said, "it's ok, as long as you don't look too close." :lol:
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Playmoholics

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 13:15:36 »
It's true though. There are a lot of flaws on PM's micro pieces, so I can only imagine how great these look in person. A very neat idea!
Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is more people who have come alive – Howard Thurman.
I need Playmobil! 

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 19:01:53 »
This is a great idea. I may have to try something like this some time.