Author Topic: Interesting chat with local PM dealer ...  (Read 2265 times)

Offline core

• Playmo Fanatic
Interesting chat with local PM dealer ...
« on: December 23, 2008, 09:37:41 »
Well, finally found some time to get back to PM (and here!) after endless months of hectic work and family commitments (then again, my 2 boys have been switching back and forth between PM :woohoo: Lego this year and have been dragging me along, somewhat).

At any rate I drove up with the boys to the local toy speciality store (full-line, carries entire Add Ons, but main business is online, with a B&M location to satisfy dealer requirements from various brands (he's also full-line Brio, Papo, Schleich, Bruder, Calico, Ryan's Room, and a boat load of other brands)) to check out the sale they were having - quite a surprise as their in-stock PM items are down ~90% from 9 months ago!  Shop seems to have taken quite a hit with the recent US/global financial situation; owner insist he's still very much into continuing the business though.  Now when I inquired about the absence of PM stuff, the obvious issue of extending credit was one of the reasons - the interesting comment he made was than PM USA could not fulfill almost all of his last order (about $8K iirc, hence he dropped the order) as PM USA themselves did not have enough credit line to get stuff over here from EU!  I suppose I could just take it with a heap of salt  ???  On a brighter note, a much closer local store (actually an independent office supply store with large classroom/home-school section) decided to venture into the toy biz and brought in quite a bit of PM stuff about 4 months ago.

How about us?  This year it's been a time of accumulating more Steck parts and expanding the city scape - and finally getting the 'new' RC train lines (there's a RCE w/center cargo section and large train station under the Christmas tree this year, unbeknown to the kids  ;D)
Peter

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
Re: Interesting chat with local PM dealer ...
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 13:59:37 »
Glad to see you back, Core!  Be sure to post pics!

As for your talk with the local merchant--

I heard from one merchant about his frustration with Playmobil's minimum-web-price policy that started last fall. 

On the other hand, I've found some of these local shop owners, especially those who don't list on-line, can be really eccentric to deal with...  I encountered one who is the equivalent of the Seinfeld Soup-Nazi (after spending over $500 with him on an in-store visit on a business trip, I later emailed him a list of sets I wondered if he had.  He got ticked off because I asked about prices, when I am supposed to understand he is the cheapest in the industry).  Summary: he doesn't list his inventory on-line and you can't inquire about it.

So, yeah, as you suggested, I take the antics of some of these characters with a heap of salt!    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline extjmv

• Playmo Enthusiast
    • deMartina.com
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 19:39:14 »
Playmobil Spain, is selling online 21 refs. at cost price.... and only ship to shops from May to July....

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 20:15:44 »
Playmobil Spain, is selling online 21 refs. at cost price....

What does that mean  ???
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline extjmv

• Playmo Enthusiast
    • deMartina.com
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 21:14:01 »
Sorry about my english....

Playmobil Spain sell 21 sets in www.playmobil.es at cost price (at the same price shops buy items to Playmobil)