Author Topic: Trouble With Labels  (Read 1184 times)

Offline SubaruWolf

• Playmo Enthusiast
Trouble With Labels
« on: March 06, 2015, 14:58:35 »
I recently got the Royal Ship of Egypt new in its box and happily applied the labels to the ship and its parts yesterday. Now today, I see that the labels that have been applied to parts of the ship that curve are buckling and coming up slightly in some places.  :(

Has anyone encountered this before and are there any solutions out there to keep the labels stuck down in place how they should be?

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: Trouble With Labels
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 15:54:42 »
I need to see how my egypt boat is... Those I don't know..

As to other troublesome stickers, most of the old helmet stickers are a piece of junk :(  When I get to them, I plan to GLUE them on. Or take them off.

Offline Raven

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 20:54:26 »
With small stickers that don't wish to stay in place (eg toothpaste tubes - my most frequent problem), they get glued on and held by a clothes pin (clothes peg) for a couple of days, and then I add a bit more clear glue on top ('Take that! Now I dare you to come apart!').

But that's not the same as larger stickers which bubble out and do their own thing.  I have a very misbehaving curved bathtub sticker.  I can threaten it (hard handedly) to stay down for some seconds, but it will always pop up again.  I'm reluctant to apply glue to that, in case I end up rigidly glueing it into the 'bubble' position.
Have a good time, make life cheerful and bright, dance if you want to, sing if you can, play as long as you live and leave the world with a smile - Lemuel K. Washburn

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 11:38:31 »
Comiserations, SubaruWolf. Stickers can be a real pain, even if you apply them yourself when the set is new (don't get me started on stickers inexpertly applied by children on secondhand lots...). I think the quality of stickers varies quite a bit.

As Raven said, extra glue may solve the problem, but its not always reversible. I guess you could try warming the sticker gently with a hair drier to soften the glue slightly, then press it down again.

At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 13:45:17 »
Also try using a mild solvent, rubbing alcohol, before you apply them. Let it thoroughly dry.  Sometimes there is oil from fingers. I usually use a metal pin to apply them as to not touch the adhesive with a finger. Since they are already on you could gently peal up the unstuck portion and use a cotton swab, small cotton on a stick used for cleaning ears, to cleanse under the sticker.

We have had so many problems with stickers over the years. Some just disintegrate and crumble over time. So annoying that I asked at the pcc.

The only ones that seem to stick like glue seem to be the ones Graham is also having fun with, applied by dizzy adults or impatient children.
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays: