Author Topic: Auction features....good, bad & ugly  (Read 2667 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Re: Auction features....good, bad & ugly
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 11:49:30 »
...especially if someone already touched it.
That's a great way of putting it, Rasputin!

..where our GermanShepard greets them.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Our local UPS guy (PM use UPS for all our DS orders) is great and if he can't deliver, he drops the parcel at a nearby convenience store (with whom UPS have an agreement) and leaves a card at our house. This is better than them taking the parcel to somewhere 10 miles away, like some companies do. We find many delivery people very helpful, but clearly some don't take the job seriously (like the ones who wait all of 3 secs. after ringing the doorbell before rushing off, claiming 'no-one was in').

I think the massive growth in Internet shopping has meant a lot of courier companies have sprung up. Some are great, others are charlatans. Here in the UK, City Link went bust on Christmas Day and made 2356 employees redundant (many only heard about it from the media). Some of these may get compensation. But many other people, subcontractors for example, many working at the minimum wage, have also lost their jobs. In our heavily consumerist society, we expect everything fast and cheap, but someone else is invariably paying the price in terms of poor working conditions, poor job security, low pay, pollution or environmental degradation. Yes I hate paying high shipping fees, but I hate to be part of exploiting other people more.

Anyway, back to the discussion about auction sites. My wish list (bearing in mind that ebay operates differently in different countries):
1. I wish there were more competitor sites so ebay had less of a monopoly.
2. I wish German sellers on ebay.de were required to have PayPal accounts like all UK sellers. (Most of the ones who will ship internationally do offer Paypal though).
3. As a seller, I wish ebay did not charge sellers fees on shipping costs
4. As a buyer, I wish ebay could find an effective way of stopping sellers from charging excessive shipping costs.
5. As a buyer, I wish all sellers would regard the loss or damage of items in transit as their responsibility and provide insurance as standard.
6. I wish ebay would extend Buyer Protection to cover collection-in-person items so one has chance to take goods away to check discrepancies in what one is buying without having to stand on the seller's doorstep checking to see if the item matches the description.

That's my list. I liked what Joe (basilsdad) said too- that's how I work Joe!

I use a sniping tool (sorry leefert!) because otherwise I miss the end of auctions or spend too much (but I still like the frisson of bidding in person in the last few seconds too!). The bids go in within 6 seconds of the auction ending with the tool I use.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 12:14:30 by GrahamB »
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 01:25:36 »
I wish ebay allowed you to mute reposted sales. People renew the same sales for weeks and it clogs up my saved search results. I just want to see the new stuff.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 01:37:38 »
One thing I miss is that at one time, if  "Playmobil" was spelt as "Playmobile" it would show up in  a separate search. 
This hasn't happened for quite a few years now unfortunately, but when it did, these items were often overlooked by other bidders and I managed to pick up a few bargains searching this way.
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 08:45:29 »
The Dutch auction site "marktplaats" is pretty good, I never use ebay myself. Marktplaats is much less competitive. Basicly only the hot items like steck houses, western houses and such can cause a bidding war and sellers know it.

Offline Amd

• Amdnrao
  • Playmo Lover
  • back to middle earth
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 20:01:16 »

I Do use ebay a lot, and love craiglist. eBay seem going crazy lately... and the problem with eBay is can become addictive. specially when you don't hace in mind what you're looking for. i like the Best offer

I wish there could be a place where i can find lots of Playmobil a cheaper prices!! LOL

Offline leefert

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 02:42:00 »
I do like the "Best Offer" feature. I've had several offers accepted that way.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one :)

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 11:17:14 »
I don't tend to look too much either. I bought a few things this month so now I don't plan to look again for some months.