Author Topic: Holland exclusive 5040?  (Read 3113 times)

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
Re: Holland exclusive 5040?
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 23:07:08 »
I missed thet thread sorry.
Here it is Holanda, so I thought Holland and The Netherlands were the same thing... anyway, sorry.

I'll check the other thread but is someone getting this set?
Or could someone get it for me?  :love: :love: :love: contact me please.
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 23:44:27 »
they do indeed wear black gloves which is quite usual for those that play a black pete during Sinterklaas.

Usually they are not portrayed by black people but by plain white dutchmen and women who color their face and neck brown, and wear black gloves since thats more Hygenic when handing out candy to kids. Not many black people living in the Netherlands after all, and many of them arent accustomed with the tradition.

Still, it wouldnt be needed to give black pete clickies those gloves since they aren't white clickies underneath make up.

Hard to recognize anyone disguised as a black pete by the way, relatives could stand right in front of you without you realising it.  :lol:

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 01:53:19 »
the three-pointed wip is weird too? is that for punishing kids?  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes it is  ;)
It think historically it dates back to the early 20th century and before, when kids got whipped (at home or at school) when behaving bad...
So  in the story one of Saint-Nicolas' assistants has a whip.

Will this be available in Holland only or also in the benelux countries? Pretty set, this is.

The set will be avaible in Belgium too, I'm not sure about Luxembourg though.

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 02:08:32 »
Here it is Holanda, so I thought Holland and The Netherlands were the same thing... anyway, sorry.

Like Playmofire said, "Holland" is a province in The Netherlands. But we belgians too sometimes generalize and call all the Dutch (people living in the Netherlands) often "the Hollanders" ... especially when our national soccer-teams play against each other  ;D

"Low Countries" also applies or used to apply to Belgium, well Flanders in the north at least.
Until ca. 1585 - when the Spanish troops of King Philps II split us up - we and our nothern dutch neighbours formed 1 country. The Netherlands as it is now known, comprised "the Nothern Provinces" and Flanders "the Southern Provinces".
The South (Flanders) remained under Spanish occupation for a very long time and so there is much catholic influence in our culture. The North (The Netherlands) succeeded in holding off the Spanish troops and they are mostly Protestant.
There was a short reunion in the 19th century, but we revolted against the North and became independent. That led to the creation of Belgium.
We still speak the same language which is Dutch, though in Flanders (nothern part of Belgium) it is with a different accent and so the language is called Flemish.

The reason Saint-Nicolas is allways depicted with black (African) assistants, is because according to the story he came from Spain. And in medieval times, many parts of (southern) Spain were often invaded/occupied by North-African Saracen troops, who were called "the Moors" and the populations got mixed up somewhat in certain regions in Spain.
Btw, I think the word "morion"  - like used for the typical soldiers' helmet - is related with that.  "Moor" was also used in dutch/flemish language and is an old word for 'black', probably we got the use of that word...again thanks to the Spanish occupation in the 16th C.
Black cats still often get the name "Moor" or "Moorke" here.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 02:21:07 by Hadoque »

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 06:35:04 »
Thank you for that brief and excellent overview of the history of The Low Countries, Erwin.   I'd forgotten more than I'd remembered!   :)
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Baron Marshall

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 13:50:47 »
Have we heard anything else about the actual release? And is anyone willing to take on setting up a group order like we did with the steamboats and Durers? Because I want in  :lol:
Someday, I will organize my stuff, I promise.

Offline rms008

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 17:58:17 »
aha i see nice to now that  :blackhair: